PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma Paint

Torebaa
08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Hello,

I am hoping a couple experienced folks may be able to chime in on a few questions I have regarding Toyota`s paint.

Firstly, I`m in the market for a new Toyota Tacoma pickup, although I am wary as to what color I should buy. I`d like to purchase a more practical color, (I`m leaning towards white) in hopes to hide scratches because the truck will see some work.

I`ve read around and talked to Toyota about their Super White color and a couple folks have informed me that Toyota`s Super White is a single stage color (no clearcoat). I`ve also looked into buying an interesting metallic green they call Spruce Mica which is a two stage process (clearcoat).

Going along with my research I`ve read that the EPA has mandated the use of water based paints in lieu of the older more traditional solvent based paints because they are less harmful to the environment. I guess these water based paints produce a less durable paint finish that can be more difficult to correct. Not to mention Toyota supposedly applies a really thin coat of clear coat to their two stage paint jobs. <--- (Would this make a single stage job live longer because the thin clear may burn through faster?)

Anyway, the main question is, what would be a better choice (from the list below) to purchase for longevity and durability over the life of my truck? I plan to have it waxed and detailed regularly by reputable folks.

-Darker two stage metallic paint

-Lighter two stage metallic paint

-Super White single stage non metallic paint

Oh P.S. I live in Seattle (Lots-o-Rain!) and the truck will be daily driven.

tguil
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Answer is a no-brainier. Super White. My wife and I have had four Tacomas...one green, one silver and two Super White. I have always detailed them myself. The Super White trucks have been the easiest to keep lookin` good.

Tom