PDA

View Full Version : Hazy Appearance on Toyota Winter Grey Metallic Paint

The Critic
08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Hey guys,

My daily driver is a 2011 Prius with the Winter Grey Metallic paint. I have previously polished it using Meguiars D151 and a Flex 3401 in an attempt to remove some light-to-moderate swirls. The pad used was a Lake Country White pad. This combination removed 50-60% of the defects, but left the finish rather hazy. As a beginner, it is quite possible that my technique was to blame.

Picture of my car right now after LSP (note the hazy appearance): http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/SodaJunkie/null_zpsff4e653a.jpg

While my current goal is to get to 70-80% correction, my greater concern is to improve the gloss of the finish. I recently came across Phil`s write-up on the exact same car and color, and his pictures shows the same paint having an incredible amount of gloss compared to mine: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Toyota-Prius-New-Car-Prep_b_298.html

I just ordered a pint of Menzerna PowerFinish, but I am having second thoughts on whether this product will be capable of finishing to the gloss that I desire. My immediate thought was to also order a pint of Menzerna SF4000 (and to try this first), but I want to reach out to more experienced individuals before making any more purchases. One experienced detailer suggested Sonax Perfect Finish, but I am a bit hesitant since it only comes in 1L bottles...and the only other car that I may detail is a black 2012 Civic.

Also, any tips/techniques on polishing will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Accumulator
08-14-2013, 12:22 PM
The Critic- While I`m not at all familiar with Toyota paint, I`d suggest doing the final finishing polish with something like HD Polish, which oughta be both effective and easy to master.

Junebug
08-15-2013, 08:21 AM
I am familier with Toyota paint, wife has a 08 Highlander, I have `12 Camry and I`ve done many others for friends. I`d just use Meg`s D300 with some Buff & Shine microfiber pads, you could gain a little more by doing a second step with a light polishing foam pad, but I doubt it`d be worth the extra effort.

Second option is get Megs compound & polish at the Wally Mart for about 10 bucks each, I`d still get the Buff & Shine pads, I`ve gone through too many LC, Megs, Optimum and CG.

Rob4092xx
08-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Could the problem be it is a Prius (LOL)!

Walter Duane Robinson

Walter D. Robinson