PDA

View Full Version : I`m Looking for tips for winter in North West USA

efarley
08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey guys!

I`m just wondering if you all have any tips/advice for keeping my paint looking good through winter. I live in Portland, OR so winter is VERY wet and cold but not cold enough for snow/ice so I have two main concerns:

1: My car is a daily driver (garaged at home) and it rains pretty much every day from November to June, so any tips on what products hold up well to daily rain, and sitting outside in the rain all day while I work would be great.

2: It doesn`t get too cold here but it does get cold enough that I won`t be washing my car during the winter other than touch free car washes, so I also need something that holds up for a few months without wearing away.

Ron Ketcham
08-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Rain is not a concern for any final wax or sealant. Heat is during the summer, but not cold winter, but what is "on the roads", and the corrosive salts and mag cloride used on the roads.

The "inner panels", etc are what you need to be concerned about.

Inner panels are the cavaties of the vehicle, where these corrosives collect, mix with dust and the mositure they hold. That results in "perforation" rusting, which comes from inside the panels.

Actually, placing a vehicle in that part of the country, during winter, where it is warmer, accelerates the corrosion process.

People find it strange, but in cold winter months, one is better to leave the vehicle outside in the cold, as "heat" accelerates the reactivity of the corrosive materials each time the vehicle`s temperature gets above freezing temps.

What I am sharing is not "my views or opinion", but those of the SAE and the automotive manufactuers studies.

In other words, not the advice of a car enthusist, but of the people who do the studies and testing of automotive finishes, corrosion, etc.

pwaug
08-14-2013, 06:23 AM
There are allot of great products out there, but IMO you can`t beat Duragloss products for ease of use and durability for a reasonable price. A coat of DG 105 maintained with DG Aquawax every couple of washes will hold up for 4-6 months. 105 is $11 for a 16 oz bottle while many others are nearly 4 times as much. If your paint needs some cleaning up you could apply a coat of DG 501 (from their Marine line of products) first then top it with 105 or just leave it as is--both are extremely durable. You can pick up DG products directly from their website for a flat $5 shipping or from Autoality.com with free shipping on orders 5 lbs or less and over $25.

Another good choice might be Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is really a sealant like DG105) Very durable and it seems to sheet water more than bead which would be great for the constant rain. You can pick ULW at Wallmart for about $20. Note: The Ultimate Paste Wax stains trim while the ULW does not.

tom p.
08-14-2013, 06:45 AM
I`m just wondering if you all have any tips/advice for keeping my paint looking good through winter. I live in Portland, OR so winter is VERY wet and cold but not cold enough for snow/ice so I have two main concerns:

E, first off, welcome aboard!

I`d make the strongest recommendation to review info on the various coatings, specifically Optimum`s Opti-Coat. I can`t think of a more carefree experience that will keep your car looking its best even when it`s not spotlessly clean. Have a look.

SilverCivic
08-15-2013, 06:22 PM
If you don`t have salt on the roads in your area then you have nothing to worry about. Cold and wet is nothing compared to the salt and other crap they put on the roads up here in Minnesota.

Thomas Dekany
08-15-2013, 07:07 PM
Go for Opti Coat, you will never use another wax or sealant.