PDA

View Full Version : What`s the best TIRE cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobrar97
07-27-2013, 07:54 AM
I know there`s a lot of good tire cleaners (because it takes something strong), but some of that stuff I don`t think I really want getting on my wheels. Is there a recommended tire cleaner that`s still ok to get on the wheels. What`s everybody found works good? Just don`t want to use Simple Green.

pwaug
07-27-2013, 08:28 AM
I picked up a bottle of Mothers new Back to Black Tire Renew (this is not the tire dressing) tire cleaner. Luckely I found it at a local Auto Parts store. Was very pleased with the results and ease of use--spray on the tire, let sit for 15 seconds, I chose to also agitate with a brush and then wipe off with a throw away shop towel. Really removed the grime and browning very well--tires looked like they had been dressed with a matt tire dressing. Some run off on the wheels, but just wiped it away and it didn`t seem to affect the LSP on the wheels. No strong chemical smell like some tire cleaners. https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=257&cPath=13

cobrar97
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I`ve not seen that before...have to see if I`m lucky enough to have it locally. What store were you able to find it?

pwaug
07-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Frank`s Auto Supermarket -- a small Western PA auto parts chain

Dan
07-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Frank`s Auto Supermarket -- a small Western PA auto parts chain

Hahaha...that`s cheating. Franks has almost the full mothers line. They even have Collinite.

http://datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/franks3.JPG

Personally I like Eagle One and Mothers Tire and Wheel. I don`t use them on wheels, just tires. Mothers might be a bit better, and its available via Amazon prime. Its getting harder to find the Eagle One stuff.

Didn`t Meg`s just come out with a wheel and tire cleaner?

cobrar97
07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Whoa...that`s a lot of Mother`s

E-Jag
07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
I`ve used Wesleys Bleche White (their spelling) for decades. Use a hose to wet the tire and wheel, hit the tire with WBW, scrub with brush and hose off. Ccheap, does a great job and available everywhere.

pwaug
07-27-2013, 03:39 PM
[quote name=`Dan`]Hahaha...that`s cheating. Franks has almost the full mothers line. They even have Collinite.[QUOTE]

Not only 845--they also started stocking 476!

SON1C
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
mothers wheel and tire cleaner is the best I`ve used, nothing has matched it and I actively pursue a replacement, have tuffshine tire cleaner on deck though!

shortspark
07-30-2013, 03:51 AM
I do not want a tire cleaner product that I have to worry about getting on the wheels so I always try to find one that cleans both tires and all types of wheels. CGs "Diablo" works well but my favorite is Mother`s Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner. Most of the time I do not even have to agitate it with a brush - just hose off with water spray. I have ordered Meguiar`s new Wheel and Tire Cleaner and I am anxious to compare it with the Mother`s.

tom p.
07-30-2013, 06:33 AM
I do not want a tire cleaner product that I have to worry about getting on the wheels so I always try to find one that cleans both tires and all types of wheels.

+1. And part of the reason I`ve selected Autoglym`s (non-acid) wheel cleaner....it`s outstanding on wheels and tires.

jlb85
07-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Anything that "foams" and does not need to be scrubbed is definitely more harsh on your tires and wheels...

APC+ has worked better than the bleach-white cleaner even on whitewalls. OPC is even better than APC+. The tuff shine stuff is also decent. Any of these are wheel safe, but like any wheel cleaner do not let it dry on the wheel and do not apply when whe wheel is hot/warm.

The tuff shine tire brush, however, makes the most significant difference in cleaning the tires imo, paired with any cleaner!

Also, clean the tires multiple times even if they look clean after the first time. I typically spray with opc as I clean the wheels, then scrub. I hit them up again right there and then or during final wash (if I don`t use wheel covers there is always some polish dust on the tires).

Jesstzn
08-02-2013, 08:41 AM
I have used a lot and if your looking for a tire cleaner only the best I have found is LA Awesome. I spray it on the tires at the start of my detail and let it dwell while I clean up the frontal area then rehydrate with a mist of water and use a stiff brush. The brown will just run off. It is safe on all wheels but the bare aluminum ones ( as is with most cleaners ). but like any tire cleaner do not apply when the wheel is hot/warm. Don`t rule it out until you try it. It.s a dollar a bottle.

togwt
08-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Griot`s Garage has two excellent products for cleaning rubber. Griot`s Garage Rubber Cleaner is for regular cleaning; like a car wash for your tires, cleans rubber tires, trim, and hoses to prepare them for a coat of protectant, it will also removes the white mould release from new tyres. Rubber dressings bond better with clean rubber.

For more serious cleaning, Griot`s Garage Rubber Prep is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses, which strips away silicones, sealants, waxes, oils and greases to properly prepare the rubber This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing by getting down to the bare tyre rubber.

Finish tyre cleaning by using a micro fibre towel, the micro barbs in its nap will remove any leftover dirt / debris. Micro fibre came about by combining two DuPont inventions: hydrophobic Polyester (a scrubbing fibre) which also gives the material strength and durability and a hydrophilic Polyamide (an absorbing fibre) that is tremendously absorbent and quick drying.

Accumulator
08-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Griot`s Garage has two excellent products for cleaning rubber. Griot`s Garage Rubber Cleaner is for regular cleaning...[and]...For more serious cleaning, Griot`s Garage Rubber Prep is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, mouldings, seals, and hoses, which strips away silicones, sealants, waxes, oils and greases to properly prepare the rubber...

I use both of these. The Rubber Cleaner is *very* mild, possibly too mild for most people. The Rubber Prep is simply *great* stuff, a [freakin`] miracle product IMO, but it`s awfully pricey for regular use.