PDA

View Full Version : What sealant for dark gray metallic?

cobrar97
07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
With so many LSP sealants out there...I just needed to ask if there was a favorite on dark gray metallic (Ford Sterling Gray) in this case. The last thing I used was hydroseal, which is certainly easy, and I like how it`s easy to get into all the cracks and crevices. Beyond that...is there a better sealant option for dark gray? I don`t really like the super-duty coatings, because I actually like "Waxing". It`s fun. With that being said, I want something that I can layer with no problems. Since it`s a dark color, I started out by trying various nubas on it, and none of them look right to me, so I`m back to the sealants. Just need to know what your favorites are (since there are so many out there). Thanks!

Bill D
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
My father has a dark grey Grand Caravan . I just put Collinite 845 IW on it. It looks great!

pwaug
07-22-2013, 05:02 PM
HD POXY with it`s Montan wax should look great on Dark Grey.

cobrar97
07-22-2013, 08:14 PM
On the dark gray, all the nubas out there made it "deep", but there`s no shine. So it actually looks a little dull. I want something with some real "pop" and lots of reflections. Would the POXY give me that?

pwaug
07-22-2013, 10:20 PM
POXY is a hybrid sealant/wax. My car is a medium to light green and POXY gives it a richness, but doesn`t mute the mettalic. BTW if you decide to give it a try Autoality.com in PGH carries HD products and the shipping is very reasonable--if your order is over $25 and under 5 lbs the shipping is free.

cobrar97
07-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Looks like that`s one to try then. I want some reflections!

pwaug
07-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Not to confuse you, but when you say "Pop" are you talking a very glassy bright look that sealants provide?? If so two others to consider are Duragloss 105 and Meg`s Ultimate Liquid Wax--both give a very shiney, glassy surface. DG 105 gives 4-6 months protection and it looks like the Meg`s would come close.

Fallz
07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
I would say a good polish , then a coat or 2 of 845.

Easy to work with and gives a sealant/wax combo look imo.

Will outlast any sealant out there.

If you want to add or maintain a "sealant look" I would suggest some AW every other wash or so.

cobrar97
07-24-2013, 08:04 AM
The vehicle is new, so there`s not swirls or anything like that. I`ve got both UNO and POXY. Should I use UNO with a green 3D polishing pad and then POXY?

Accumulator
07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
cobrar97- I dunno whether UNO will leave a good enough final finish, it never does for me (OK, I know ..."user error!", but it doesn`t).

96GreenPSD
07-24-2013, 07:46 PM
I`ve always preferred Optiseal or Meg`s UQW on my gray metallic Volvo to 845 or OCW (and probably BFWD too); either Optiseal or UQW will make the flake pop and create a very bright/reflective look. Those two are also very easy to apply. Disclaimer: I`ve never used Proxy before and I`m not familiar with every sealant/coating.

cobrar97
07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I had forgotten about the old OptiSeal. I remember using that with great luck on silver...really made it pop.