PDA

View Full Version : Need HD UNO vs HD POLISH Comparison

jmsc
07-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Now that I have both products in-hand, can someone please give me a quick compare between both products. Will be using a PC DA on a soft Honda (2011) paint and a harder Corvette (2012) paint.

Specifically I need to know:

1. approx cut/gloss (scale of 10)

2. water or oil based (is a panel wipe or dawn wash necessary?)

3. the Honda gets a gtechniq EXO2 lsp, the Corvette a Z-2 lsp

David Fermani
07-18-2013, 10:54 PM
UNO is the jack of all trades in a sense, but you can`t compare the gloss of Polish to it on most cases. Keep in mind that UNO has been reformulated a few times and the new version is for light swirls. I`d consider the cut of it as a 5 or 6 out of 10 (10 being heavy). Polish would be a 2. Totally different abrasive family as well. HD UNO via a wool pad/rotary can do some great cutting actually. If you want some serious cutting power.......go with HD CUT. It also leaves a great finish behind too.

All of HD`s polishing compounds are non-diminishing and water based. If you are using HD protectants, no wipedown is required/needed. They all share the base ingredients and will have no issues bonding/blending to each. If you are using a coating or a bonding-critical sealant like Zaino, a Dawn wash is all that is needed to strip any oils that could interfere with it. Here is a thread I put together about how easy HD Polish is to strip: http://www.autopia.org/forum/auto-detailing-videos/142781-hd-polish-dawn-%3D-holy-strip.html

jmsc
07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info on HD.

cobrar97
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I have a couple questions on these product too. Maybe Dave will chime in. What is the cut ability of UNO with the 3D`s green polishing pad on a DA? Is that the normal pad to use with it? What pad would you normally use with the HD Polish?

I recently did a vehicle with UNO on a green pad. Then I POXY`d over top. From what I`m reading...I`m probably not getting the best finish I could have. At this point, can I simply use HD Polish over the POXY and then re-POXY again?

This is vehicle is new and has little to no swirls, micro-mar, etc. What would you recommend I do at this point?

I'm_ILL
07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
I have a couple questions on these product too. Maybe Dave will chime in. What is the cut ability of UNO with the 3D`s green polishing pad on a DA? Is that the normal pad to use with it? What pad would you normally use with the HD Polish?

I recently did a vehicle with UNO on a green pad. Then I POXY`d over top. From what I`m reading...I`m probably not getting the best finish I could have. At this point, can I simply use HD Polish over the POXY and then re-POXY again?

This is vehicle is new and has little to no swirls, micro-mar, etc. What would you recommend I do at this point?

I use UNO with a 3D orange pad and sometimes an MF cutting pad. I always follow up with HD Polish on a green pad. I recently posted a video using both and finishing with Nitro Seal here (http://www.autopia.org/forum/auto-detailing-videos/145581-hd-uno-hd-polish-hd-nitro-seal-black-denali-hybrid.html).

Accumulator
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
..I recently did a vehicle with UNO on a green pad. Then I POXY`d over top. From what I`m reading...I`m probably not getting the best finish I could have. ...

While I do think that going over it with the Polish (which I`d expect to cut right through the Poxy in the course of doing its thing) would yield a better finish, I myself would leave it alone until it actually needs polishing again, or at least until it needs reLSPed. But then I`m, uhm...not as Autopian as a lot of people here and I don`t want to spend any unnecessary time on such stuff if I can avoid it.

Alfisti
07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
But then I`m, uhm...not as Autopian as a lot of people here and I don`t want to spend any unnecessary time on such stuff if I can avoid it.

Except with your wash technique. :chuckle:

Accumulator
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Except with your wash technique. :chuckle:

Well, I don`t consider that "unnecessary" ;)

cobrar97
07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Ok...I can talk myself into waiting then. It looks real good as-is...I just have a feeling that doing that polish would have made quite a difference yet. I guess I just want to know, AND I want it as good as it can be.

jmsc
07-28-2013, 11:26 AM
I`ve used both UNO and POLISH. UNO does look good when done, but, POLISH takes it up a few steps in the gloss department. To me POLISH and 85RD are very close in final looks just to give a comparison.

Scottwax
07-28-2013, 11:29 PM
I prefer HD Cut and Adapt to UNO. More cut and better finish, at least compared to the version of UNO I have on hand. IMO, you need all three, Cut, Adapt and Polish to get the best results on a wide variety of paints.

cobrar97
07-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Adapt isn`t available to purchase yet is it?