PDA

View Full Version : How would I find out my PPI level?

Guitarist302008
07-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Town water here... it`s horrible, can`t even wash my car at my own house due to how bad spotting is. How would I find out the PPI level and is there a level considered unsafe for people/animals? I`ve heard of some dogs here (including one of my own) with kidney failure.

togwt
07-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Water Supply Classifications (Water Quality Research Council)

What Is My Water Hardness? (USA map) - United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness? (http://qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm)

Total dissolved solids (TDS) measured in grains per gallon (GPG)

• Soft Water- 0 to 1 grains per gallon

• Slightly Hard Water- 1 to 3.5 grains per gallon

• Moderately Hard Water- 3.5 to 7 grains per gallon

• Hard Water - 7 to 10.5 grains per gallon

• Very Hard Water - over 10.5 grains per gallon

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Filtration Methods” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/137955-filtration-methods.html#post1465231

Pores per inch (PPI) relates to foam pad construction

Guitarist302008
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Water Supply Classifications (Water Quality Research Council)

What Is My Water Hardness? (USA map) - United States Water Hardness Map, What is my water hardness? (http://qualitywatertreatment.com/city_water_guide.htm)

Total dissolved solids (TDS) measured in grains per gallon (GPG)

• Soft Water- 0 to 1 grains per gallon

• Slightly Hard Water- 1 to 3.5 grains per gallon

• Moderately Hard Water- 3.5 to 7 grains per gallon

• Hard Water - 7 to 10.5 grains per gallon

• Very Hard Water - over 10.5 grains per gallon

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Filtration Methods” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/137955-filtration-methods.html#post1465231

Pores per inch (PPI) relates to foam pad construction

thanks for the link and what do you know? Mine`s not listed! I actually called my plumber who had taken a sample a while back... luckily the still had it on file. The hardness is right on the edge of what it should be, PH is also close to the edge and the last one... maybe iron? I`m not sure, but it`s actually to high. Naturally the town doesn`t want to do anything when I called them about it.

Swanicyouth
07-12-2013, 10:26 AM
I`m not sure what "PPI" is, but if you want to figure out how hard your water is, you can get a kit from Amazon. I think I spent $10 to get mine.

Basically its a vial and 2 droppers. You add water to the the vial. Then so many drops of product X. Then, you titrate with product Y until the color changes (counting the number if drops it takes to do it).

The number of drops tells you how "hard" your water is in PPM (part per million of dissolved solute). My water is about 200 ppm. The kit seems fairly accurate.

But if you have water spots it doesn`t matter. Either change your wash technique or get a CR Spotless. Just the fact that you are experiencing spotting likely means the water is hard enough not to be ideal for car washing.

Dan
07-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Or you can buy a $20 meter from Amazon that gives a decent approximation of your TDS.

jlb85
07-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Or you can buy a $20 meter from Amazon that gives a decent approximation of your TDS.

^+1

And pet stores have digital pH meters you can use for any water (and most sulutions, like wheel cleaner).

I have a 25" sediment filter, then softener (filter that backwashes itself with a brine) for the garage water. If need be I also have a RO system I collect water from for final rinsing. My tds is 005 to 007 tda ppm on average in full flow. RO water is 0 tds ppm. I have a client/friend who uses a CR Spotless filter at the hose and gets 0 ppm water, and swears by it. I wish I could add more filters. I have a community well.

You can also get a test kit at home depot or a few online places that will test and report your water. One place did it for free as an analysis for buying a new filter system. My local Home Depot has the vials and service at the checkout.