PDA

View Full Version : Tip for old paint

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug
07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
It seems word of my detailing has reached the guys that hold onto stuff (too long!) crowd and I`m been getting a few oldies. I`m currently doing a 1994 Toyota Pickup. It`s flat single stage white. Now, this truck only has 65K actual miles and spent a good deal of time under the barn shelter getting crud from whatever the wind blew. So, I had nasty overspray AND oxidation, lovely, I love those things.

I killed a nice little ball of Clay Magic Blue and then started experimenting on the paint polishing. If you`re the sensitive type, just quit reading here.........ok, now, this ain`t no six figure show car, and the owner doesn`t want to spend but a few bucks. I tried M101, M105 & D300 with MF and LC Orange pads (via PCXP) and after several tries, I discovered the best, fastest and producer of the desired slick, clear, new looking paint was this: M101, spray a little Megs Final Inspection on the pad for every other panal, apply a good amount, think cream on a cinnamon bun look to the pad, spread with speed 3, work it at 5, and finish with one complete pass at 6. Now, I used compressed air to clean the pad, and I go right back and instead of wiping off the panal, I start back at speed 5 and work it till it`s fairly clear. Now, you can wipe off the panal with a MF towel and that`s it.

One fairly long step but WTH, it worked! Notes - MF pads were useless, D300 was weak sauce and doing multiple steps with different polishes was just working for free with no increase in looks for the paint. Does it sound like I like M101, you bet your butt I do.

This was the big flavor of the month a while back and I held off getting it till it was available in the USA for a decent price.

Other notes: temp was mid 80`s, humidity was high, doors open in 2 car garage and we had a few thunderstorms blow through during the time I worked. I kept thinking I would be on that 1000 Ways to Die show, but I guess my karma said nope!

Ron Ketcham
07-09-2013, 12:23 PM
If you would have spent an extra 15 minutes or so when you washed it before doing anything else, by incorporating the ValuGard ABC system up front, you would find that you would have cut your cleaning and buff time by a large percentage.

At most a single pass of cutting on some bad panels, then a polish, polish the rest and apply the final sealant/wax.

Many have found this to work very well and reduce labor time, produce a cleaner, more even finish.

The "white" would be "white" before you take a polisher to it, as all the built up years of dirt, soil, etc that was not only "on the paint`, but "down in the pores" would be washed out and gone.

That is, in it`s self, an eye opener.

adeptauto
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
nice!

and its nice to know im not the only guy thinking im going to end up on that show too!

Junebug
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I didn`t realize ABC took care of overspray. I found the white pretty white after claying, dull yes, but white. The weather only permitted me to use my Duragloss rinseless stuff to wash it in the garage. All in all, I did the wash, clay, buff and wipe down in 2 hours and 45 minutes. Hey -ain`t as young as I use to be.

Bill D
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a great procedure for a budget detail on a worker vehicle. I think the use of ABC on every detail might be a little cost prohibitive. If the owner was pleased then it was a job well done

Ron Ketcham
07-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a great procedure for a budget detail on a worker vehicle. I think the use of ABC on every detail might be a little cost prohibitive. If the owner was pleased then it was a job well done

Cost prohibitive? Not sure that when one includes shipping in the equation, that $6 or $7 a car to save at least an hour, if not more could be prohibitive.

I don`t know what everyshop figures their per hour labor at, but I when I still do the once in a while car, I bill my labor from a low of $25 an hour to $75 an hour. (dependant on what work, tools, materials and expertise is required)

Pricing is usually based on market conditions. If the competition is charging $300 for a detail, and I can use a product that saves me one hour, and still charge the going rate, that is money in my pocket.

I`ll make money spending $7 as it saves me labor time, that I am going to charge for when I price the job to meet that market price..

Bill D
07-09-2013, 06:54 PM
I meant its possible that it may be cost prohibitive for somebody who doesn`t detail for a living or may get a job every now and then but all the figures you just presented make sense for a pro or for shop

Ron Ketcham
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I understand, Bill.

The company never has made a kit available for the once or twice a year user.

I tried to get them to produce one, but was over ruled everytime.

They are a very OEM and large user oriented, just seem to stay that course.

It must work, seen a lot of "car care" companies come and go, flashes in the pan, and Automotive International has been successful since the early 80`s, growing every year.

Junebug
07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I don`t see how it could save a hour, I still would need to clay the overspray off.

Bill D
07-09-2013, 08:00 PM
I`m just thankful that they offer it to the public online

For overspray that`s a different story. You`ll have to do a whole a lot of claying When I had overspray on my Audi I did the ABC then did a lot of claying after that

Ron Ketcham
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
As I have stated, it is not for the total removal of overspray, but in many cases it makes it easier as it crawls under the overspray deposit and loosen them in "many" cases.

System was never formulated to remove overspray, just that over the years, they found that in many cases it speeded up the removal.

Bill D
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
That`s exactly what it did for me it saved my butt!

LeMarque
07-12-2013, 03:39 PM
As I have stated, it is not for the total removal of overspray, but in many cases it makes it easier as it crawls under the overspray deposit and loosen them in "many" cases.

System was never formulated to remove overspray, just that over the years, they found that in many cases it speeded up the removal.

Don`t want to hijack the thread, but was going to call VG and ask - "How `bout bugs and tar?" This is the season for us and currently I`m using CG Bug and Tar Shampoo + TarX, when called for.

So I`ll ask here instead.

And BTW - Thanks for sharing the process JuneBug!

Junebug
07-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Bugs? I use a product from a little local company - Majestic Solutions called Bug Off. Tar is best removed by some K1, and remember you have to wash right afterwards to remove the kerosene .

I would rather do two quick steps with cheap, easy to get products.

I am sure I will get the big OMG, but, never had any paint problems.

Ron Ketcham
07-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Works for bugs, but not for tar. Simple reason for that, bug are dried organic material that can be liquified by water with surfactants in a product.

Tar is hydrocarbon based, so a hydrocarbon based product is what is effective.

Most of the "bug tar removal products", if you check the label warnings are hydrocarbon based, mainly in most, is mineral spirits. It stays wet, so it liquifies the bug deposits.

Expensive and in some cases will attack and break down adhesives used to attach emblems, etc. Vs a water borne for bug guts which does not do so.

Just basic chemistry.