PDA

View Full Version : 845 user`s chime in

Fallz
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Do you think there is a difference in durability and shine if I use the wowo method ?

It seems on black (GM paint) that if i let dry to a haze that I get some streaking or some residual that comes up afar a few days .

What could I be doing wrong ? other colors I do not notice it..

What method do you guys use ? I try to go as thin as possible , seems to work better w a pc.

kapflaco
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I have the same issue on my jet black BMW. I WOWO as a result to avoid the streaks, but found that 476 was a better option for me in terms of durability with this method.

96GreenPSD
07-05-2013, 05:54 PM
It`s been a while since I`ve used 845, but in the past what you mentioned worked best; a thin coat, so thin that you can barely see it, and wiping the product off in less than an hour (I think it used to take me around 20-25 min to wax a mid-sized sedan). I also previously used a finishing pad by hand, or a finishing pad via pc, and primed the pad in such a manner as to not cause excessive application of the 845.

My guess is that the hazing is due to the carnuaba content of 845 and/or too thick of an application, or too much humidity,etc. The hazing can be removed via QD wipedown, but typically only in conjunction with considerable force (which could cause marring).

EdLancer
07-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Haven`t been on these forums for a couple years, now what is the heck is the wowo method ? ...LoL

Streaking means one thing, the product is not being applied evenly. 845IW should be applied as thin as possible, like a film and almost not visible. A second coat is more desirable that a thick coat. 845IW will look better after 1-2 washes as the petroleum distillate content is washed off. Best and easiest way to rub off the haze after it dries is to place a clean microfiber over a pad on your DA and buff off the haze.

imported_Erik Mejia
07-06-2013, 05:20 AM
Haven`t been on these forums for a couple years, now what is the heck is the wowo method ? ...LoL

Streaking means one thing, the product is not being applied evenly. 845IW should be applied as thin as possible, like a film and almost not visible. A second coat is more desirable that a thick coat. 845IW will look better after 1-2 washes as the petroleum distillate content is washed off. Best and easiest way to rub off the haze after it dries is to place a clean microfiber over a pad on your DA and buff off the haze.

WOWO = Wipe on Wipe Off.

E-Jag
07-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I always apply 845 by hand, simply because I really enjoy doing it that way. Much like rubbing polish on a beautiful shotgun stock. I apply 845 with a soft mf towel, cut in half. I decide how much of the car I`m going to do, apply lightly and then let it sit/set for an hour or so. It always removes easily, without streaking. It might take me a couple of days, so as not to aggravate my masochism, and I do it fairly often, using Aquawax in between. I`ve never considered there to be a trick to using it, but I`m one of those folks who believes prep is 99% of shine.

resek
07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I used to use the `wipe on wipe off` method with Collinite 845.

But I found after a couple of application that I was getting way less beading (very nice beading) than letting it haze for 30min or so and buffing it out.

I don`t know if I had more improvement concerning durability and protection, but `beading wise`, it was a HUGE improvement.

Accumulator
07-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I too let it haze as it gives me better durability and I just find it easier; I apply via machine and generally do the whole vehicle before buffing off. Can`t say I`ve ever had any issues, but then I`m kinda fanatical about applying my LSPs very thin.

I don`t know if I had more improvement concerning durability and protection, but `beading wise`, it was a HUGE improvement.

IMO the longer "just waxed" characteristics remain the same, the better the LSP is holding up.

EdLancer
07-06-2013, 12:50 PM
I used to use the `wipe on wipe off` method with Collinite 845.

But I found after a couple of application that I was getting way less beading (very nice beading) than letting it haze for 30min or so and buffing it out.

If you are using any products like ONR and Duragloss in between your applications of 845IW, the beading will lessen, but the protection still remains. These polymer products alter the surface tension.