PDA

View Full Version : Do I need new pads?

CTSV
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
After messing around on the hood of the ATS, I just got ultimately frustrated with the oils in 205. Possibly as a result of the flat black paint.

unfortunately, I came to this conclusion *after* I blew $200 on new pads and another bottle of 105.

There are always returns though, right?

I`ve decided to give 3D products a try(specificly Cut to replace 105 and polish to replace 205), I`ll have Microfiber cutting pads and blue/white LC pads at my disposal, this is of course, on a hard GM clear.

Should I throw some Black 3d pads in there or should I be safe to finish with white pads given the hardness of the clear?

hoping to place an overnight order tonight so I`ll have them to use for the long weekend,

Thanks in advance!

gmblack3
07-03-2013, 12:04 AM
IMO the white pads should work for finishing on that Gm clear.

CTSV
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
I think I`ll just buy the polish for now and stick with the 105 I`ve bought before spending more money returning it.

thanks.

Accumulator
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
CTSV- At the risk of sounding like a pedantic jerk, and I guess it wouldn`t be the first time :o ....is it really *FLAT* black paint, or do you mean to impart that it`s nonmetallic?

FLAT black paint is a no-gloss finish similar in look to primer, even duller than "satin" or "matte" black. You don`t, for practical purposes, polish FLAT black paint or it won`t stay "flat".

Again, sorry to split hairs, and yeah...terminology changes all the time anyhow.

CTSV
07-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Non metallic.

It`s Black raven, the same non-metalic clear coated black paint Cadillac/GM has used for the last 10-15 years.

trolling around, I picked up some Uno and polish in 16oz to give them a try, and also picked up some dr colorchip for the car too. Just going to stick with the pads I`ve already bought.

If the Uno doesn`t work as well on the caddy, I think I`ll try it on the white 89 C4.

Accumulator
07-05-2013, 09:47 AM
CTSV- I had my best dr colorchip results using it basically the same as regular touchup paint, only using their solvent for gentle leveling, i.e., I did *NOT* do the "smear it all over and wipe the (big) smeared-with-paint area". Their recommended approach didn`t work nearly as well for me. See what works for *you* though.

The Uno can do some serious correction, at least when used with small pads and a fair amount of time.

Is the `89 a "C4 as in `vette" or "C4 as in Porsche"?

CTSV
07-05-2013, 10:03 AM
As in Tuned port injection

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0090-1_zps1d1f6376.jpg (http://s813.photobucket.com/user/blmlozz/media/DSC_0090-1_zps1d1f6376.jpg.html)

The Uno can do some serious correction, at least when used with small pads and a fair amount of time.

We`ll see. I`m getting more patient at correction the more proficient I become with it, and I was a bit worried I went too aggressive when 3 passes basically knocked everything out . If I find it takes too long with the caddy I`m sure it`ll be of use on the corvette which has mostly original paint. Without a paint thickness gauge I`ll need to be very careful.

Accumulator
07-05-2013, 10:18 AM
CTSV- Ah, OK...and that`s a nice one! One of the nice things about white is that marring doesn`t show all that much, so I wouldn`t go nuts correcting it. When the white paint is clean and shiny, and the black trim/etc. looks good and contrasts well, the vehicle will look great (as I suspect it already does).

Oh, and IMO three passes with Uno isn`t really getting all that aggressive (although every case is unique etc. etc.).

Bill D
07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
I bet that white `89 C4 is the same paint as my white `89 Coupe de Ville. I can tell you it is very hard, and a real challenge to correct, more so than Audi paint and yeah, more so that Mercedes Ceramiclear. I`ll be especially interested in the results of your experimentation! :up

Scottwax
07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Might want to pick up some Meguiars M100, great cut and the finish even on jet black (which is the way to refer to your paint color so we know immediately what you mean) is really good. Follow with HD Polish and you should be pretty happy.