PDA

View Full Version : FK 2180 can it be layered? Is it a benefit to layer?

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
So as part of my de-winterizing process today I proceeded after all the compounding and polishing yesterday that I applied my Klasse AIO as my base coat. I then applied one layer of 2180 let it cure for about 30 mins and then applied another coat to make sure that nothing was missed cured for 30 mins and removed with 425.

My question is should I keep putting a few more layers of 2180 or should I move to the pink wax?

All thoughts and advice are welcome.
Thanks!

GregCavi
04-05-2006, 09:21 PM
The fk1 forum rep (when there was one) told me that he didnt think there was a benefit after 2-3 coats and that I would be better of going onto pink wax, and then some more pink wax lol. I think you will love the look!

Greg

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 09:23 PM
The fk1 forum rep (when there was one) told me that he didnt think there was a benefit after 2-3 coats and that I would be better of going onto pink wax, and then some more pink wax lol. I think you will love the look!

GregI hope so because so far I am not that impressed by the FK 2180. We shall see how it looks after it has had 12-24 hours to cure.

We will have to get together sometime Im in MN as well in Woodbury.

GregCavi
04-05-2006, 09:24 PM
absolutly! I would be totally up for that. As far as the look I think the pink wax will really impress you.

Greg

cwcad
04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Just some food for thought, KGB. It would be adviseable to wash your vehicle regularly if using 2180. Have used same and was not impressed either. But it was disussed with other members here that I might have found the variable in that the vehicle that I employed 2180 recieved no maintenance
what so ever. A regular washing regimen would be advised to get the best results.

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Just some food for thought, KGB. It would be adviseable to wash your vehicle regularly if using 2180. Have used same and was not impressed either. But it was disussed with other members here that I might have found the variable in that the vehicle that I employed 2180 recieved no maintenance
what so ever. A regular washing regimen would be advised to get the best results.My car rarely goes two days with out a wash or a QD with PBs spray and wipe. I usually spray and wipe everyday and follow with a QD. Yeah Im that bad.

mgm2003
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
My car rarely goes two days with out a wash or a QD with PBs spray and wipe. I usually spray and wipe everyday and follow with a QD. Yeah Im that bad.

You will notice a difference after 24 x 36 hours of cure time (assuming your ride is in the garage -out of the elements). I was un-impressed with #2180 the first time that I used it too. The slickness & finish appearance improved over time -unlike any other product that I`ve used. Personally, I like #218 over #2180 -but they are both excellent products (IMO).

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
You will notice a difference after 24 x 36 hours of cure time (assuming your ride is in the garage -out of the elements). I was un-impressed with #2180 the first time that I used it too. The slickness & finish appearance improved over time -unlike any other product that I`ve used. Personally, I like #218 over #2180 -but they are both excellent products (IMO).Its garaged =)

So I shouldnt top it tomorrow with Pink Wax?? Thats going to kill me what am I supposed to do tomorrow!

Ugh I guess I can start on the inside.... BORING!

mgm2003
04-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Its garaged =)

So I shouldnt top it tomorrow with Pink Wax?? Thats going to kill me what am I supposed to do tomorrow!

Ugh I guess I can start on the inside.... BORING!

Yes you can top it with PW. If you have the time... I would recommend applying 2 coats of PW, and buffing it off with #425. Post some pics when you`re done.

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes you can top it with PW. If you have the time... I would recommend applying 2 coats of PW, and buffing it off with #425. Post some pics when you`re done.If I top with PW now will it affect the cure time?

mgm2003
04-05-2006, 10:25 PM
If I top with PW now will it affect the cure time?

He** no! Go for it! I`ve talked to the FK folks quite a bit. They have a very versatile line up.

chml17l
04-05-2006, 10:26 PM
The cure time for 2180 can take several days and the look continues to improve until it is fully cured.

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 10:27 PM
He** no! Go for it! I`ve talked to the FK folks quite a bit. They have a very versatile line up.
Sounds good to me, PK tomorrow and then another coat on Sat and Sunday!!

mgm2003
04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
The cure time for 2180 can take several days and the look continues to improve until it is fully cured.

True. This might sound strange.... (and I don`t have the technical explanation -but I have discussed this with FK).

I`ve applied #218/#2180 -and over a 24 hour period the look & slickness improved SIGNIFICANTLY with #2180 -no doubt about it.

The first time that I used #2180 I was not happy (and then called FK for some pro advise). If you`re not happy -or in doubt- give them a call.

p.s -I`ve also used #218 (or #2180), topped immediately with PW x 2, and have had excellent results (looks, slickness, durability). When you`re done, QD with #425 and you`ll be smiling from ear to ear :)

-KGB-
04-05-2006, 11:14 PM
True. This might sound strange.... (and I don`t have the technical explanation -but I have discussed this with FK).

I`ve applied #218/#2180 -and over a 24 hour period the look & slickness improved SIGNIFICANTLY with #2180 -no doubt about it.

The first time that I used #2180 I was not happy (and then called FK for some pro advise). If you`re not happy -or in doubt- give them a call.

p.s -I`ve also used #218 (or #2180), topped immediately with PW x 2, and have had excellent results (looks, slickness, durability). When you`re done, QD with #425 and you`ll be smiling from ear to ear :)http://www.smiliesftw.com/!/orlyflaglol_2.gifVery good to know!