PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Stain on Front Bumper

toml
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
I have a new 2013 Nissan Altima, metallic silver. It has 2 coats of 845 IW on it. Today, after work, I noticed a couple small red spots on the paint (probably from birds), so I used the MF that I kept in the car along with some Quik Shine to get rid of them. All of the spots came off easily except for one. When I worked on the spot on the lower lip of the front bumper, the majority of the red spot came off, but there was an orange circular blemish left. When I got home, I tried:

1. Clay - no joy

2. Vanilla Moose on a sponge - no joy

3. Klasse AIO on a sponge - no joy

4. Menzerna 106FF on a 4" green pad with a PC on 5-6 - no joy

What would you suggest? I also have blue and orange 4" pads and Menzena Super Intensive Polish (SIP) along with some other polishes (Megs #80, DACP (Megs #83), SSR 2.5). All my stuff is probably from 2007-2008.

I am concerned with doing too much as I don`t know how delicate the finish is on the front bumper. I am also scratching my head as to why this happened with two coats of IW on it.

I can also take it to the dealer`s onsite body shop and ask them about it.

Thanks in advance.

Picture below from my phone:

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/4316/2zmd.jpg

toml
06-27-2013, 07:52 PM
I talked with the dealer`s onsite body shop manager today who came out and looked at the spot. He said that whatever it was did stain the paint, likely due to the extreme heat along with the fact that the bumper is plastic. He asked me to bring it in early next week and they would see if 3000 grit wet-sanding would clean it up.

David Fermani
06-27-2013, 08:23 PM
And that`s about all you can do for now other than just letting whatever this is possibly evaporate.

toml
06-27-2013, 08:48 PM
And that`s about all you can do for now other than just letting whatever this is possibly evaporate.

Thanks David. Letting the body shop handle it ... the manager said it would take about 30 minutes. Do I have a reason to be concerned? Is there anything I should be telling them or being on the lookout for?

Have you ever seen something like that evaporate?

David Fermani
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I would just make sure that the repair is documented with a repair order. Described as being a contaminant (or whatever) and what they did/tried to rectify it (sanded). If something like paint failure happens down the road from them removing too much clear, this repair order documents that they might have cause unecessary damage.

I had a client that had a factory matte finish on his Audi R8 GT and he spilled gas on the paint causing it to look really dark. I told him to park it in the sun and it (the oil from gas) basically evaporated.

I`ve also seen dark spots from tire dressing sling on rocker panels of white cars. You can clean, buff and sand all you want and nothing removes it other than just a little bit of time....

toml
06-29-2013, 09:28 PM
It seems to have evaporated ... :clap2:

David, thank you for your advice.:thumb:

David Fermani
07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
That`s great news! Patience is certainly critical in these instances.

Accumulator
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
It seems to have evaporated ...

Oh good! I was a bit nervous about a dealer`s bodyshop doing wetsanding on plastic :nervous

I was thinking that a decontamination with ABC might be a good approach...and might still be in case any of the [stuff] is still in the pores of the paint.