PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Vs. Professional Products

ChrisMessier
06-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Hey guys, looking to get some input on product differences.

Having seen many of you list products such as M105/205 in your go-to products, I am contemplating on buying each for myself. This will be an upgrade from the consumer line Meguiar`s Rubbing Compound, Ultimate Compound, and Polishing Compounds that I use now (with great satisfaction).

Before I spend $40-45 on the pair of 105/205, my question to you all is:

-What are the main differences between the products?

-Should I invest in these if the OTC products already seem to do the job?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

P.s. Scottwax, if you are reading this, you mention in click`n`brag that you prefer Armor All Original for trim and tires, etc... Very curious as to why you chose this over some Internet exclusive products. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

tom p.
06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
-Should I invest in these if the OTC products already seem to do the job?

Probably not. It`s really going to boil down to your objective.

Welcome aboard, Chris!

ChrisMessier
06-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks Tom!

Dan
06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Do you have a DA? That makes the biggest impact.

Fallz
06-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I agree , get yourself a nice dual action (DA) polisher like a Porter cable commonly referred to as a (PC) and you can get excellent results with consumer products . IMO do not fall for all the hype of these products and boutique products products. TRUST ME you can spend a fortune and not see a difference in most things. Consumer products have come a long way since the years past and produce some outstanding results. Some may be better than others a little bit but i was told once find what you like and use it often. Results are in the eyes of the beholder. If you like the results thats all that matters .

ChrisMessier
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
I have used the PC for two years, very pleased with results every time.

imported_Quenga
06-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Stick with the OTC, or get ready to spend a lot of money. Once you start, you can`t really stop. I wanted a nicer finish on my cars, thousands of dollars later I operate a detailing business. :)

I use Ultimate Compound many times when I`m running low on M105 or, like usual, forget my polishes. You can count how many times I forget my polishes, by the number of UC bottles I have...currently at 3, and I gave 2 away to friends...

IHA Mark
06-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Stick with the OTC, or get ready to spend a lot of money. Once you start, you can`t really stop. I wanted a nicer finish on my cars, thousands of dollars later I operate a detailing business. :)

I use Ultimate Compound many times when I`m running low on M105 or, like usual, forget my polishes. You can count how many times I forget my polishes, by the number of UC bottles I have...currently at 3, and I gave 2 away to friends...

You need a detailer`s bag for your polisher/products. I have one from AG and it is one piece of equipment I use every single day and would not want to do mobile detailing without.