PDA

View Full Version : Doing a correction on a black BMW

Randomhero
06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
2003 Black BMW Z4. Paint is dull, swirled, and straight awful.

Products i have are:

Porter Cable 7424xp

Lake Country 5.5in wax pad, polishing pads, light cutting pads, and heavy cutting pads.

Meg`s Ultimate Compound

Meg`s M105

Meg`s M205

HD Cut

HD Polish

I am planning on finishing with HD Poxy.

Obviously im gonna do a test spot. What kind pad/product combos would you try first on this paint?

Gray_Panther
06-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I just got done with a Jet Black 325xi. Sticky paint. I have not used HD products, but 2 dots of 105 and Megs UC on a cutting pad (Not sure about pad choice), then finish down with 205 would work wonders

Scottwax
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Same as any other car, start in the middle and adjust as needed.

pwaug
06-24-2013, 06:45 AM
As long as you`re using POXY as your LSP why not save yourself some time by using HD Cut and Polish--they require no IPA/Earaser wipe down before applying POXY -- just wipe off with a MF and hit it with the POXY.

Randomhero
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
As long as you`re using POXY as your LSP why not save yourself some time by using HD Cut and Polish--they require no IPA/Earaser wipe down before applying POXY -- just wipe off with a MF and hit it with the POXY.

So i can finish with HD Polish on a white polishing pad. Or should i go over it with a black finishing pad and light pressure afterward.

The guy is paying for a 2-step correction, so im trying to get the best gloss and swirl free paint with 2 DA correction steps.

pwaug
06-24-2013, 07:47 AM
So i can finish with HD Polish on a white polishing pad. Or should i go over it with a black finishing pad and light pressure afterward.

The guy is paying for a 2-step correction, so im trying to get the best gloss and swirl free paint with 2 DA correction steps.

Well that I can`t tell you as I`ve never done a BMW--just commenting on the synergy with HD products and the lack of heavy oils to remove like 205. But, I would suspect a test spot would tell you if you should finish with a white polishing pad or black finishing pad.

Thomas Dekany
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
If this is a non metallic black paint, you have to use a finishing pad. Sounds like you haven`t done black paint?

Randomhero
06-25-2013, 01:01 AM
If this is a non metallic black paint, you have to use a finishing pad. Sounds like you haven`t done black paint?

Not properly. Can i finish with HD Polish on a Black Finishing pad? Or should i try a different product?

Ill try a few test spots i guess.

Scottwax
06-25-2013, 04:33 PM
HD Polish and an Optimum MF polishing pad work well on most jet blacks. Uber soft might mean using a foam finishing pad.