PDA

View Full Version : New paint, need help

agtjamesb007
06-22-2013, 03:16 AM
I just got a new bumper cover, door and front fender painted. I am finding all different answers as to how soon I can wash it and wax it. It was washed right before I picked it up in fact, but I don`t want to over do it. I can still smell the vapors, and the paint is soft, as if my finger nail would be able to make an impression. Not suprising however, since it has not even been 24 hours. Does anyone have any experience with this, professional or otherwise? I will be driving 5 hours to the Adirondacks in about a month. Up there, especially this time of year the bumper will become caked with bugs and possibly other contaminants like sand and road grit etc. I would like to protect it with some wax before I go, which will also help with the removal of the late bugs when I get home.

Thanks in advance!

jshillin
06-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Are you sure it was waxed right after it was painted? They might have done a crap job polishing it and covered it with an oily glaze.

Accumulator
06-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Noting that I`m the guy who always errs on the side of caution on this topic, waiting forever and a day and merely using Meguiar`s M05 or 3M IHG during that time.....

Given the planned roadtrip, I`d LSP it with something that`s fresh-paint-friendly like Optimum`s Car Wax, or even coat it with OptiCoat, which apparently *is* OK for fresh paintwork (not that I can understand how that can :confused: :nixweiss , but....).

agtjamesb007
06-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I apologize, I edited my post to read that it was washed right before I picked it up, NOT waxed. I`ll do some searching for some fresh paint friendly car wax. I am not sure what would happen if it was waxed too soon.

Accumulator
06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
... I`ll do some searching for some fresh paint friendly car wax...

Look into the Optimum stuff. Ford approved OCW for "post-production paintwork" and Ford generally does some pretty decent research/testing before issuing such recommendations.

.. I am not sure what would happen if it was waxed too soon.

Mostly it`s a matter of interfering with the "outgassing" that`s part of the curing process. The primary concern is that the paint won`t achieve its maximum potential hardness if the interference happens. In some *VERY* rare cases people have spoken of "clouding" of the finish, but that`s awfully rare, as in...has it really ever happened? :think: :nixweiss

But you really *might* find a lot of marring after you wash off the glaze that they undoubtedly applied, so be prepared to polish too.