PDA

View Full Version : What kind of paint did body shops use 40 years ago

LeMarque
06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Sorry for all the incoming, but a fellow stopped by who owns a 1911 Pope Hartford that he said was painted forty years ago. Seems some workers were spraying above his garage and he just noticed some over spray on the fenders, etc.

Said he would be traveling and back in town in a few weeks. So I`m thinking ClayMagic fine, but for some reason or other I`m wondering, if I have to use mineral spirits or reducer for the potentially more stubborn over spray, am I going to do more harm then good.

I tried to tell him the longer he waits the more likely the overspray will attach to the paint, but his schedule won`t permit anything sooner. That`s true, right? Waiting to remove overspray only adds to the difficulty of removal?

David Fermani
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
With age I`d say that overspray is more resistant to solvents for removal. Usually within weeks. Clay is a great 1st step however can be a nightmare if you have a badly oxidized surface.

When these methods fail or don`t work as efficiently as one would hope, I reach for Micro Mesh 4000 grit sandpaper.

How long has this problem been on the car? What kind of overspray is it? Could also be a potential insurance claim if it`s on trim that cannot support removal. Those pieces can be very costly to replace.

LeMarque
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks David.

Happened about a week ago. Not certain about anything else. Trying to reach him AWS. Will post back with any updates.

Ron Ketcham
06-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Would have been either a nitrocellouse lacquer or an alkaloid enamel.

If there are no visable cracks anywhere, it`s probably the enamel.

Lacquers that were reshot that long ago have usually cracked in some areas of the vehicle by now.

LeMarque
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Would have been either a nitrocellouse lacquer or an alkaloid enamel.

If there are no visable cracks anywhere, it`s probably the enamel.

Lacquers that were reshot that long ago have usually cracked in some areas of the vehicle by now.

Ron - I don`t think I could have found that info if I had the NSA working for me :)

Thanks!

LeMarque
06-20-2013, 10:48 AM
He`s already left town. But he said it is some brand of roof paint/sealant.

He`s one of these fellows that takes his antiques on cross country road trips, so while it could be in a museum, it undoubtedly has some road rash. I just don`t want to add to any additional blemishes.