PDA

View Full Version : 3 summers of aphid honeydew falling on my car. Is recovery a lost cause?

sean33
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I live in the city with no covered parking on a street with 30 ft tall trees that have summer aphids that have progressively gotten worse. I lived there for three years and I am moving this year. Past years, I`ve given up the fight and only wash and wax occasionally dealing with the white dots all over my car. I have a black Lexus IS300 so it only make it look worse.

My paint now has a lot of contaminates that appear deep in the paint that occur from the car having honeydew on it then rain coming in. I haven`t tried to fix it and just deal with bad looking paint. I`m thinking of a claybar and a good coat of wax once I leave the area. Does anyone have a good recommendation for really removing years of honeydew contaminate on paint?

Ron Ketcham
06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure, but a cheap and easy to find out a way to desolve and remove them.

Take a bottle of rubbing alcohol, soak a rag in with it and lay on a spot for a few minutes, keeping it wet with the IPA (rubbing alcohol), then see if they "wipe off".

There may be some slight clear damage from the amino acids that in the deposits, so don`t be surprised if you see some actually damage to the clear.

The thing is to get the deposits off and to do that, they must be allowed to liquify.

tom p.
06-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Does anyone have a good recommendation for really removing years of honeydew contaminate on paint?

A professional detailer.

Welcome aboard, Sean !

sean33
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I`ll be trying a few things in July.