PDA

View Full Version : it`s worth a try

silver star
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
newbie here...general question...is it safe to use various brands? I`ve bought a couple of different products but don`t know if they will work together. I`m going to use three layers of premium sealants on a light silver A3.

step 1: carlack 68 AIO (cleaning + protection)

step 2: carlack 68 long life sealant (extra protection)

step 3: wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant (wet shine)

step 4: zaino z2 pro (mirror shine)

what do you guys think?

smart or overkill?

tom p.
06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver, welcome aboard! Do you know for certain these products will play nice with each other, and you`ll gain some benefit, or are you strictly in the experimentation mode?

Nth Degree
06-12-2013, 07:10 PM
I am not familiar with the Carlack products. I think it might be a bit of overkill but there usually isn`t an issue layering different products. The great thing about waxes and sealants is that you can do a side by side comparison and strip it off if you don`t like the look.

Scottwax
06-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I think you are wasting time and money. Pick the one you like the best and use it as often as you need to.

You are MUCH better off investing your time and money in a good DA polisher and pads, a compound and polish, clay because that`s what really makes a difference. There is no way stacking sealants is going to give you the deep glow that a properly polished surface will.

Thomas Dekany
06-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Silver star, you are getting great advice from Scott. I`d listen to him.

I think you are wasting time and money. Pick the one you like the best and use it as often as you need to.

You are MUCH better off investing your time and money in a good DA polisher and pads, a compound and polish, clay because that`s what really makes a difference. There is no way stacking sealants is going to give you the deep glow that a properly polished surface will.

silver star
06-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Silver, welcome aboard! Do you know for certain these products will play nice with each other, and you`ll gain some benefit, or are you strictly in the experimentation mode?

Thx! I`m using Carlack 68 AIO more than ten years now. It protects the car very well and has a decent shine. With the long life sealant it lasts 6 to 10 month but I want the super glossy shine of Zaino or Wolfgang products. That`s why I`m here asking questions.

tom p.
06-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Silver, I think we have the Carlack products but they`re called Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze. What many of us have had great success with is the AIO followed by 2 - 3 applications of the Sealant Glaze. If you seek additional gloss, many will suggest topping periodically with a rich carnauba product. That is likely to yield the result you desire and then some :) This is a "tried `n` true" (proven) solution here.

I agree with Scott`s comment on mechanizing your process. That is going to take you to the next level, and possibly beyond.

Accumulator
06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Silver star- Welcome to Autopia!

I doubt if putting a different product over the Carlack will increase the gloss all that much. You`ll still have the paint in the same condition and the Carlack between the paint and your eyes (and also sandwiched in there under whatever you top it with).

Some products just don`t give the highest gloss. While I`ve never used Carlack, I have plenty of experience with the perhaps similar Klasse products, and with those on the car I`ve never been able to increase the gloss beyond a certain level. Topping my Klasse with a wax did change the appearance slightly, but not enough for me to continue doing that and I doubt it would give the look you seem to want.

IMO to increase the gloss you need to a) polish the paint to a higher gloss, and then b) apply a product that gives the look you`re after. There are plenty of high-gloss products that will last a long time and provide great protection, but you do need to get the paint properly prepped first as >90% of what you see has nothing to do with the wax/sealant you apply.

Dan
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
If Carlack is anything like KSG, its not going to be your limiting factor at all. I`ve split a car with KSG on one side and Z2 on the other. At one coat of KSG, the Z2 side looked better. After 3+ coats of KSG, they were about the same. Stacking different products is a waste of time, you`ll only see the top product anyway.

Accumulator
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I`ve split a car with KSG on one side and Z2 on the other. At one coat of KSG, the Z2 side looked better. After 3+ coats of KSG, they were about the same..

Huh...I`m all about layering KSG, but I never thought you`d find the looks comparable to Z2 :eek: I think of them as both having (very different!) "signature looks".

Dan
06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Huh...I`m all about layering KSG, but I never thought you`d find the looks comparable to Z2 :eek: I think of them as both having (very different!) "signature looks".

Z2 has more depth at certain angles, but otherwise they are very close. Both are polar opposites of a traditional carnauba. All shine, no warmth.

Alfisti
06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Carlack 68 are newer versions of the base product used in Klasse.They have improved appearance.

If you don`t want to polish your paint first then use AIO followed by several layers of long life sealant 24hrs apart and see if you like it. You should also get incredible durability.

Accumulator
06-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Carlack 68 are newer versions of the base product used in Klasse.They have improved appearance.,,,[with]..incredible durability.

Does the sealant still have that "thick acryclic coating" effect, like a layer of plastic on the paint?