PDA

View Full Version : rupes or 3D?

mnewxcv
06-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Ok, so Ive had my GG6 for a year or two now and want to try something new. About this time last year I figure, everyone was raving about the 3d polisher, and I liked the fact that even under heavy pressure, it kept spinning. Now, it seems like EVERYONE serious about detailing is using the rupes. I hadnt even heard of them a year ago. Is there anyone who has used both machines who can give a little feedback as to whats better about one or the other? Either will be a step up from my GG6 I assume, which is a great machine, but I think its slower overall than the 2 others I mentioned.

gmblack3
06-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Rupes 21 hands down over any and every polisher out there. It`s that simple.

Paul Sparks
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Consider the fact that a standard da such as the Griots and the 3D , Meguiars and Porter Cable have a 6-8 mm stroke the Rupes 21 has a 21mm stroke and the 15 a 15mm stroke. I have the Rupes 21 plus two Griots 6" and a Megs along with a old PC. There is no comparison,IMO , between the older da`s and the Rupes for correction . With this large of stroke very little downward pressure is required for operation.

mnewxcv
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
does the larger stroke interfere with tight spaces, like around trim and windows?

edit: also, I use primarily 5" pads, because i feel i get more correction out of them than 6" pads. will that change with the rupes 21?

gmblack3
06-09-2013, 05:04 PM
does the larger stroke interfere with tight spaces, like around trim and windows?

edit: also, I use primarily 5" pads, because i feel i get more correction out of them than 6" pads. will that change with the rupes 21?

No it is fine around everything. I suggest the rupes 21 w the exact fit backing plate for 5" pads. Very effective w the Meg`s mf 5" pads. You can get everything from Kevin Brown aka buffdaddy.com. He will also include the washer mod that frees up the rupes even more. Kevin is THE expert when it comes to polishing paint and all things rupes.

pwaug
06-09-2013, 06:32 PM
No it is fine around everything. I suggest the rupes 21 w the exact fit backing plate for 5" pads. Very effective w the Meg`s mf 5" pads. You can get everything from Kevin Brown aka buffdaddy.com. He will also include the washer mod that frees up the rupes even more. Kevin is THE expert when it comes to polishing paint and all things rupes.

And only $5.00 shipping if my memory serves me correctly!!!

Scottwax
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Rupes hands down. And the finish is better as well.

imported_Quenga
06-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Rupes, not even a question at this stage.

chrisguga
07-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Do you know if Kevin is pre-installing these washers if you buy directly from him? I hate to buy a machine that requires modification to maximize results right out of the box.

Legacy
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Are you aware of the cost of the Rupes21 ($400)?

Paul Sparks
07-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Do you know if Kevin is pre-installing these washers if you buy directly from him? I hate to buy a machine that requires modification to maximize results right out of the box.

To install the washer it requires no more then placing it between the backing plate and machine spindle.

chrisguga
07-16-2013, 06:35 PM
To install the washer it requires no more then placing it between the backing plate and machine spindle.

I didn`t realize it was that easy. Good to know.

EdLancer
07-22-2013, 01:14 PM
The Achille`s heel of the Rupes is it`s anemic motor and high cost.

Swanicyouth
07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
How is the 3D polisher an upgrade from the Griots? I thought the Griots was actually more powerful and the stroke was either the same or similar between the 2 machines.