PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use...

Lexi65
05-30-2013, 12:12 PM
those parking guards that attach to the sides of your car doors? Wondering how you

like them.:dance

A little feedback please! Thanks!

Lexi65
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM
those parking guards that attach to the sides of your car doors? Wondering how you

like them.:dance

A little feedback please! Thanks!

P.S. they use suction cups to attach.

Accumulator
05-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Nah, don`t want anything like that touching my car. Did try the magnetic ones back in the `80s...for maybe a few days before tossing them.

Consider that the paint would have to be *perfectly* clean before you attach them.

If it took a big hit, would the suction cups be moved around? Would they stay attached?

And you ever see how rubber suction cups can leave a permanent mark on windshields? I figure it`s some kind of reaction between the suction cup and the "not-really-all-glass" windshield, and I`d sure hate for that to happen to my paint.

I think this is a cool idea for somebody to come up with to make money, but a poor idea to actually use on your car.

Richard Grasa
05-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Going along with what Accumulator said about possible damage from the device itself... I think if you live in a particular area (like NYC or somewhere like that) and they will prevent more serious damage from someone bumping into your car it may be a good thing. I Opti-Coated a 7-series for a guy from NYC about a month ago and heard that 3 days later a parking garage attendant backed into his car and scratched and dinged the heck out of it. I would have rather had a bumper on there than get that kind of damage so it may be one of those risk vs reward things - some light scratching/marring vs a trip to the body shop...

But I have seen the kind that shut into the door jamb so nothing is actually attached to the car, and some that hang out of your trunk to protect the rear bumper. Maybe look into those types?

Accumulator
06-01-2013, 12:45 PM
The "Bumper Bully" things might protect the bumper from moderate impacts, but I sure wouldn`t want that big/not-so-soft/heavy thing lying on/flapping against my bumpercover.