PDA

View Full Version : SwissVax Leather Milk vs Leatherique

tuffcalc
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I`m a real leatherique fan for the leather in my cars. The only problem (which I`m sure some of you have experienced) is that it is a major pain in the a** to apply and remove the rejuvenator oil.

I`ve been trying to find a product that I could apply ... let it sit/soak, and get the same results as Leatherique without the fuss. This led me to Swissvax Leather Milk. I just received a 250ml bottle yesterday and applied it to my vehicle. The leather milk goes on so thin (and has a hint of WD-40 smell to it - I`m wondering if it contains any solvents) that I just don`t know how it is even being absorbed into the leather. After sitting for over 15 hours there was still some "shine/milk" left on the surface. After cleaning up the excess with a wet rag, I haven`t noticed much difference to my nappa leather. It does leave a nice mat finish, but no added suppleness.

For those of you that have used the leather milk, should I be slathering the product onto the seats? The bottle is quite small and if I do that I can`t imagine getting more than two uses out of the bottle... and it is quite expensive, but if that`s the correct way so be it.

togwt
05-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use, you need to ascertain the grade of leather and the type of leather finish applied. One product fits all is a vendors wishful thinking

There are a few different types of leather and several types of finishes applied to the leather used for vehicles upholstery. There are also a myriad of leather care products available, which need to be used in accordance to the type of and finish used in for your vehicles upholstery.

That is why it is imperative, that if you are concerned about the results you wish to achieve, you must perform a bit of research into finding the products suitable for your requirements.

So it is very important to be able to recognise the various finishes and materials used by OEM’s as they all require different methodologies and products for proper care and maintenance.

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split –grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/136895-leather-upholstery;-surface-identification.html#

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Leather Articles Hyperlinks” -http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141973-leather-articles-hyperlinks.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know

tuffcalc
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
TOGWT - thanks for the reply. I believe my leather is Nappa. What would you suggest as the best cleaner & conditioner?

I also have a vehicle with MB-Tex. Although I understand leatherique is not the best for this, I have found that it adds much suppleness.

tom p.
05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Tuff, welcome aboard!

I don`t think I`d ever consider the Leatherique RO on MB Tex, if that`s what you mean. It`s going to end up all over your clothes. The Prestine Clean on MB-Tex? That should be OK.

I consider the Leatherique products as "the big guns". It`s not a product I reach for for maintenance. I regard it as a restorative product and a darn good one at that. For routine cleaning and conditioning, I guess I`ve been using the Griot`s products most recently. They`ll provide light cleaning/conditioning. They also have a big leather smell which I guess some like and some don`t.

If you want something neutral and water-based, look at the Leathermaster products as they are well-regarded (no odor).

togwt
05-24-2013, 05:32 AM
TOGWT - thanks for the reply. I believe my leather is Nappa. What would you suggest as the best cleaner & conditioner?

I also have a vehicle with MB-Tex. Although I understand leatherique is not the best for this, I have found that it adds much suppleness.

Automotive leather upholstery DOES NOT require conditioning (its a vendor myth to generate sales) it only requires hydration

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136421-proper-finished-leather-cleaning-care.html

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Artificial leather (MB-Tex and interior Vinyl)” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/142098-artificial-leather-mb-tex-interior-vinyl.html

tuffcalc
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Tuff, welcome aboard!

I don`t think I`d ever consider the Leatherique RO on MB Tex, if that`s what you mean. It`s going to end up all over your clothes. The Prestine Clean on MB-Tex? That should be OK.

I consider the Leatherique products as "the big guns". It`s not a product I reach for for maintenance. I regard it as a restorative product and a darn good one at that. For routine cleaning and conditioning, I guess I`ve been using the Griot`s products most recently. They`ll provide light cleaning/conditioning. They also have a big leather smell which I guess some like and some don`t.

If you want something neutral and water-based, look at the Leathermaster products as they are well-regarded (no odor).

Thanks - I will check out leathermaster.

I have used leatherique rejuvenator oil on MB-Tex (last month actually). It did make the seats much softer. I was happy with the result, just not the process (I had a space heater in the car overnight to keep it hot - and removing the oil took a good 30 minutes if I remember right; a few passes with pristine clean and then a wet rag ... never want to go through that again).

imported_Amused
05-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I agree with Tom...Leatherique`s best for restorative/revival jobs. Leather Master sounds more in line with what you`re looking for. I`ve had great success with it maintaining the leather in my cars over the past decade, and the process is simple.