PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on how to care for my microfiber?

1vh1
05-17-2013, 08:54 PM
I just dropped $50 on some Cobra microfiber. I used to just use some junky ones I bought from amazon, until I did a CD test and found that they had been scratching my paint at a very small level, but I think they may have been causing the haze in my paint.

So, since I have a bunch of expensive towels now, I was wondering what tips you guys have to keep them working and not causing marring.

A few specific questions would be how often should I wash them (they game with some detergent.), does it matter if I wash them hot or cold, just overall upkeep questions.

Ron Ketcham
05-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Been using the micro fibers for over a decade.

You are not going to like what I have to say.

Wash them in any quality laundry detergent, on permanent press cycle, by "them selves", not with any other fabrics.

Dry them in a dryer on plain old permanent press cycle, with no other fabrics, just them alone.

Do NOT use any fabric soften, sheets, liquid, etc. at any time in the wash and dry process.

The CD test is just another bogus, "I have the answer of what is best" sort of thing that got started in the internet years ago.

Quality micro fibers are all over the place, and all over the place on pricing.

It`s called "branding".

An example is Costco`s Kirkland brand or Sam`s Club towels.

They are darn good towels, just not subject to high dollar, "you got to have the best and this brand is the best", sort of thing that is all around, be it gasoline, ketchup or millions of other consumer products.

CD test, I can create a "scratch" in a CD with a feather if I push hard enough.

Sounds like your problem is more one of not "flipping" the towels to clean sides enough or not "folding" them to put a cushioned surface to the paint surface.

Read the label on any towel before you buy or tear it off. What is the "blend", 80/20, 70/30, what is the weave.

These are the real keys to how good a towel is.

You asked, I responded, you may not like it, but as one with decades in the business of detailing, etc and the owner of over 200 micro fibers, I said what I had to.

Let the flames begin.

togwt
05-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Using Micro fibre

The first thing you should do when you get a new micro fibre towel is to wash and dry it. Most towels are washed several times by the manufacturer to remove excess dye and any contaminants from the air and machinery. Unfortunately, this leaves the towel looking limp and used. So, manufacturers then "size" the towel to make it look more attractive and new again. This "sizing" process uses a starch and silicone mixture that will scratch and contaminate your paint finish. There will also be a number of loose threads that, while they cause no harm, can be annoying the first time you use the towel.

Some towel manufacturer’s use a chemical to make the fabric soft, theses chemicals should be removed by washing It is very important to was new towels before they are used for the first time.

Only use liquid detergents; never use dry detergents as many times the granules do not fully dissolve and become trapped in the towel. This can cause scratching of the surface you are cleaning. (See also Micro fibre Care)

There are many towel edge treatments including over- locked, serge, blunt cut, laser cut, ultrasonic cut, silk edge, microfiber edge, suede edge, satin edge, and many other combinations of style and material, but nearly all of them will cause scratching. Either use borderless or fold the towel so the border is on the inside

A good microfiber cannot unload particles without being immersed in water. If you wipe back and forth while detailing, you will be rubbing the dirt you pick up back and forth over the paint. Water provides the necessary surface lubrication. Simply wet the towel with clean water and wring as dry as possible, use it damp, if the cloth is too wet it will leave streaks.

Fold the towel into four quarters Wet (a damp microfiber will clean better than a dry one) – Wring – Wipe- when drying Wipe – Wring - Wipe if the towel becomes too dirty, it will begin to streak; it is then time to use another clean towel. If you drop a micro fibre towel; change t for a clean one, they are designed to ‘hold on’ to dirt particles that shacking will not free it of containment or dirt particulates.

Methodology - fold the towel into four quarters when using microfiber towels; it’s best to wipe in a single direction until all visible contamination is removed, flipping the towel frequently; micro fibre enables you to clean almost everything without casing surface scratches.

What is equally important with any micro fibre towel is the way they are used; they need to be turned frequently, and don’t apply too much pressure, especially at the edges. Fold the micro fibre towel in half, then in half again, using very little downward pressure, gently wipe the surface and then flip the towel to a clean surface and wipe again. When you see the towel start to show a line of dirt, flip it around and use a different, clean section.

With it folded properly you`ll get a couple of first wipe / second wipe sections out of it. It usually takes 4 or 5 towels to wipe down an average vehicle. When you are ready to clean them, rinse well, re-wash and leave to air-dry (See Micro Fibre Washing / Care)

Spring20
05-19-2013, 12:18 PM
The sell detergents for micro fiber

Bill D
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Ive never needed a specialty marketed detergent specifically for microfiber, like previously stated, use a quality liquid detergent, in my case Charlie`s Soap, and throw some white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser and you can enjoy years of use from your microfibers. i have ever had a microfiber look "stale" by going this way.

davyvc
05-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Keeping the microfiber towels clean is the best care you can give them. Ron gave great advice about washing them in the washing machine with standard laundry detergent with no other fabrics. The only suggestion I would make is to let them air dry. Lint from other fabrics can collect in a dryer and deposit on the microfiber. It is definitely a good idea to wash the towels first even when they are brand new. Textile plants are very dirty and the towel can contain many contaminants.

I have heard some discussions about different qualities of microfiber towels. Most of what you buy from Walmart, Pep Boys etc. is made in China. It is believed that the cheaper made microfiber towels tend to leave lint behind but I have never seen a noticeable difference. The Pep Boys brand works just fine for me.