PDA

View Full Version : Which microfiber pads to pick up?

Pages : [1] 2

brownbob06
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Ok guys, I`m looking at getting some microfiber cutting pads. I can`t decide which ones to go with. I`m looking for something that has good cutting ability. I`ve researched here on the board but haven`t seen any real comparisons between different pads.

I`ve read the product descriptions of some pads that they cut and polish, not sure how much I trust pads that are supposed to do both. I generally use UNO and Speed on either yellow or orange über pads and most of the time I get my best results with speed on a yellow pad as I can remove swirls and there`s no marring left behind. I don`t do too many full corrections, generally either polishes or a compound/polish on really bad paint.

Like I said, I use foam pretty much exclusively and would like to step into a microfiber pad, just looking for some suggestions and opinions. The pads I`ve looked at so far are:

Surbuf micro fingers

Meguiars MF cutting discs

Ãœber MF cutting discs

LC MF pads

B&S MF cutting pads

I`ve read that the Meguiars durability isn`t all there so I`m shying away from them. The surbuf and LC are the ones that claim to be both polishing and cutting pads so I`m shying away from them too, but since I have no firsthand experience with any of them I`m open to opinions!

Before I forget, I use a GG 6" with a 5" backing plate.

SVR
05-14-2013, 04:47 AM
Hi mate, don`t shy away from the Surbuf pads. Also all pads can be used to polish with and finish with if you know how

For example - 100% 4 ply twisted australian wool pads can be used with a soft polish to polish and finish out very well, as good as foam with no marring if using a DA or RO tool, sometimes even rotary

The Optimum MF pads are good but I`m not far from switching to the new flexipads mf pads from the UK, much better build quality and foam backing by the look of it and thicker microfibre top layer

surbufs are stronger than any microfibre pad but can finish down very well.

if you do get some, do not machine wash them as the foam centre layer will go from dense to soft and even come apart over time.

peacemaker
05-14-2013, 09:04 AM
How do you use a MF pad to finish down? Is there a change in pressure/technique when compounding and polishing?

pwaug
05-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Take a look up a few forums in the Carpro section as there is a thread regarding the new Buff & Shine MF pads -- initial reports sound very good. I don`t think you`ll see a B&S pad delaminate.

brownbob06
05-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I like the price of the buff & shine pads for sure. Will they outperform the yellow uber foam pads?

brownbob06
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM
After looking at the price it seems the price is actually on pat with others, it was the surbuf that were cheaper. But the reports of being able to do a whole car with one pad is promising. So 2 pads should do it for me I would think. Still would like some opinions from those who have used more. Looking to order by the end of the week.

However, jean Claude has said te cutting power of all is about the same, so I`m wondering if it`s worth it for the buff & shine ones when I can get 4 surbuf a for around the same price through autogeek since I need to get some more ONR as well (shipping savings.)

pwaug
05-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Autoality.com has a mix and match 5 pack of 5.5" B&S MF for $38.65 (includes free shipping)

Accumulator
05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Just FWIW....I`ve used the SurBuf pads a few times and I *DO NOT* like them. OK, just a personal preference based on my inability to get `em to work the way I want, but I generally don`t have problems getting something to work OK.

I got less-than-stellar cut and *significant* not-so-micro marring. Yeah, I worked on my technique and consulted with people who are well-versed in their use. The things just don`t work for me :nixweiss At least not as well as other options.

Kevin Brown and I have discussed this a few times (note that they work well for him) and he and I have agreed that the SurBuf pads are also a risky choice for people of limited experience. Not that hard for things to go haywire.

While I haven`t tried any other MF Cutting Disks, the Meguiar`s ones work so well for me that they quickly became my go-to pads for serious correction. Zero issues with them, great results. While I might occasionally use small wool cutting pads (the ones from Cyclo that appear to be same as the Edge ones), or the Meguiar`s burgundy foam cutting pads, I have zero intention of ever again using SurBufs or yellow foam cutting pads.

brownbob06
05-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Great input guys.

Accumulator, what have you experienced as far as durability with the Meg`s pads? I was going to go with them but started reading about people having problems with their longevity. If I went with them I would probably only use them for cutting since I can finish out fine with my orange über pads.unless there is enough of a performance leap with the MF finishing pads.

Accumulator
05-14-2013, 11:45 AM
brownbob06- I must be lucky, I got a *LOT* of use out of mine before they finally wore out (backing pad came loose). I was spinning them pretty fast and hard too, with my GG 6" and 3" pneumatic.

I`d hate for you to get `em based on my say-so and then have a [crappy] experience, but I`m so enamored of those things that I`d just buy a scad of them and let whatever happens happens. Heh heh, I bet I sound like shill-boy here, but oh man am I satisfied.

brownbob06
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Ill probably end up going with them. Is 2 enough to do a car? I don`t really want to buy more than I have to in case I don`t like them.

imported_Cardaddy
05-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I have to agree with Accumulator on the Megs pads. While the first gen pads did have some delamination problems, the newer ones have been rock solid.

I may have been a little late to the party with MF pads if for not other reason than all the mixed reviews here and there with durability. Plus... with darned near a 100 various foam pads in my bins I didn`t really need them. That being said, once I went with the Megs pads they seem to get used quite a bit.

Most will use just the cutting pads (as I do as well) but I also have the finishing pads and have to say they do finish down fairly well, especially on DD`s with hard paint.

The key with ALL MF pads is a ton of air. It`s impossible to keep them too clean. Do one section, clean, do another section clean. The upside of them though is you can blow them out and put them back in your bin and not wash them, then end up using them the next day. :up

Accumulator
05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Ill probably end up going with them. Is 2 enough to do a car? I don`t really want to buy more than I have to in case I don`t like them.

Two might do it if a) nothing goes wrong as in delamination and b) you have an air compressor to clean them.

Otherwise I`d get two two-packs (I think that`s how they come...). IF you hate `em let me know and I`ll buy `em off you, how`s that? I`d rather risk having to do that (no real risk, I`ll use `em sooner or later) than have *you* risk being caught short in the middle of a job. Hey, you`re in Ohio, I`m in Ohio, shipping would cost peanuts.

Cardaddy- You`re 100% correct about keeping them clean and yeah, the compressor is *the* way to do it :xyxthumbs

brownbob06
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I appreciate it Accumulator, but I don`t think that`s necessary lol. I`ll be ordering some soon now. Hopefully by Friday. I would like to wait until Memorial day sales but I`m hoping to get some work lined up for that weekend...

SVR
05-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Xpert Jewelling polish with MF polish pad at very low speeds with a random.

It`s mega fine. Sure foam can still add more but plenty of occassions when MF will be plenty to finish out great, especially after wool and a surbuf pad.