PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Car Detailer www.detaileddesignsautospa.com Reviews Carpro MF pads

Jean-Claude
05-13-2013, 09:50 PM
I got my Carpro B&S MF pads in a week or so ago and just now have the opportunity to try them out today. They can be found here: 5 1/2" Buff and Shine Microfiber Cutting Pad - Orange - www.CarPro-US.com (http://www.carpro-us.com/5-1-2-buff-and-shine-microfiber-cutting-pad-orange/polishing-pads/)

At first glance, they are of really high build quality. The packaging is nice enough.

These pads feel super nice. They are thicker than Optimum or Meguiar`s MF pads. After using them I appreciate the thickness while using these MF pads on curvier panels. They hug the contours nicely.

Thus fars, I`ve used the buffing pad w/ d300 on a black Sky that has horrible orange peel and moderate swirls and marring. I typically work d300 w/ Meguiar`s MF pads with 6`ish overlapping passes per section. Usually 2 separate treatments give really nice results. That was the process I used across the board for these pads.

I`ve directly compared the B&S mf pad against Meguiar`s and Optimum`s mf pads. My review as of right now is pretty straight forward. After 2 treatments, they all cut about the same. The biggest difference thus far has been in the thickness of the pad(as noted), the nap of the mf in the B&S not binding up as easily and it appears to not delaminate as fast as the Meguiar`s. I can`t comment on the Optimum vs B&S when it comes to durability yet as I`ve not destroyed a B&S yet. But we all know looking at a Meguiar`s mf pad makes it fall apart and there is definitely an improvement with the B&S in that department.

There was a big improvement in the amount of orange peel after treatment with all 3 pads.

More to come on the finishing pad and pictures very soon.

Big thanks to Cory at carpro-us.com for suggesting these pads. Super happy with the cutting pads right now.

peacemaker
05-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Cool. What do you mean you give them two separate treatments?

Jean-Claude
05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Cool. What do you mean you give them two separate treatments?

I use the term "passes" interchangibly with the time between putting a pad on paint until I remove the residue with a towel and as well as the action of moving the pad back and forth in rows/passes. I distinguished passes from treatments to clarify those descriptions.....not 100% I did a good job though haha

peacemaker
05-14-2013, 12:02 PM
MF pads are a huge PITA due to the cleaning involved. So for each section, you cleaned and applied product twice?

Jean-Claude
05-14-2013, 12:52 PM
MF pads are a huge PITA due to the cleaning involved. So for each section, you cleaned and applied product twice?

I`m not discussing the merits of MF pads over anything else. I am just giving my .02 on these pads vs other MF pads.

Yes. I treated each area like it was the first time seeing correction, twice.

imported_Cardaddy
05-14-2013, 12:52 PM
PMFJI, but I really don`t find MF pads that big of a pita. I mean with foam you have to do a lot of `cleaning on the fly`, plus you have to change out pads fairly quickly when doing an entire vehicle. With MF, rather than clean with a towel, you clean with air.

The upside to MF is rather than using (up to) half a dozen (foam) pads on a vehicle... you can (at times) get away with as few as two microfiber pads.:wink1:

At the end of the day, the total time spent cleaning and changing pads is actually less.

gmblack3
05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
There was a big improvement in the amount of orange peel after treatment with all 3 pads.

Amazing JC! When I use m101 and a Mf cutting pad via rupes 21, I never see a reduction in OP on any clear.

Barry Theal
05-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Amazing JC! When I use m101 and a Mf cutting pad via rupes 21, I never see a reduction in OP on any clear.

Bryan, have you tried the buff and shine pad for orange peel removal. I didnt think you tried those yet. How can you compare two things if you have not tried both?

gmblack3
05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Bryan, have you tried the buff and shine pad for orange peel removal. I didnt think you tried those yet. How can you compare two things if you have not tried both?

So Barry d300 has so much cut, it will out cut m101 no matter the pad? I learn more everyday.

Jean-Claude
05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I should have noted that the area of OP I am speaking of is not original paint. It was painted a few months ago. Albeit, the OP was super heavy and there was still a really nice improvement.

In my opinion, nothing beats out a wool pad on a rotary for correction and OP improvement short of wet sanding. But these MF pads are nice options.

Barry Theal
05-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Bryan im not sure what your assumption here is, but where did I mention the fact that D300 cuts more then 101?

gmblack3
05-14-2013, 10:21 PM
JC says in his experience the pads all cut the same. Ime 101 has more cut then d300.

Jean-Claude
05-14-2013, 10:53 PM
JC says in his experience the pads all cut the same. Ime 101 has more cut then d300.

In case anyone just reads this, I will clarify that I am posting some initial results on 3 pads(on just 1 car that has mostly original paint as well as a relatively new paint job on the hood) and that the 3 mf pads in question cut about the same while using just d300. I`ve not posted any results with any other compounds or polishes at this moment. If I were not so busy, I could play with a bunch of combos and post up reviews but alas the horrible problem of needing to finish in a timely manner will have to cause suffering for everyone else dying for reviews haha

LeMarque
05-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Gotta say I use B&S foam almost exclusively but their new MF just didn`t have the cut I had hoped for. They do seem much more robust then any other MF pad I`ve used but I have to say there is something about the fibers being black that just turns me off. I like to see, for some reason or other, what the pad looks like after a pass or two. Do I see dust :scared: or any other sort of potential contamination? I just can`t tell with the black MF.

CEE DOG
05-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Great work JC! Thanks for the review!