PDA

View Full Version : Wolf`s Hard Body

Pages : [1] 2

cjbigcog
05-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Finally got HB on the car this past Saturday.

Car is an `11 Subaru WRX, Red.

Car has a one year old application of Opti-Coat on it. I just never liked the

look of OC....I was always topping it with something. HB looked to be the answer.

So, after the usual wash and clay bar, I polished out defects with HD Polish/white pad/ Griot`s polisher without trying to remove much OC. I want as much of a barrier between the outside world and my soft paint as possible.

Finish polished with 3M Ultrafina/3M blue pad/rotary. Followed with Chemical Guys

Citrus Wash.

HB was easy to apply! I used a 2oz sprayer along with a Cquartz applicator covered with a suede mf applicator:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/cjbigcog/P1010527_zps9c70bdd4.jpg (http://s446.photobucket.com/user/cjbigcog/media/P1010527_zps9c70bdd4.jpg.html)

I used not quite .75 oz (20ml) of product for two coats:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/cjbigcog/P1010532_zps97a5649b.jpg (http://s446.photobucket.com/user/cjbigcog/media/P1010532_zps97a5649b.jpg.html)

Washed with Nano Bathe today to clean up any areas I may have missed when buffing off the last coat. Really nice beading:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/cjbigcog/P1000891_zps409f2825.jpg (http://s446.photobucket.com/user/cjbigcog/media/P1000891_zps409f2825.jpg.html)

The car has an amazing shine to it now. The best it has ever looked. Very satisfied!

IHA Mark
05-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I really like hard body. I sell it as an add on service and all my clients go nuts over it. I use a foam applicator to apply it though.

Legacy
05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
I really like hard body. I sell it as an add on service and all my clients go nuts over it. I use a foam applicator to apply it though.

HB is the slickest coating on the market. I use a crimson H20 pad with a GG6 on speed 4.

peacemaker
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Whats the durability of it?

IHA Mark
05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Wolf`s says 24 months, but I live in a harsh climate so I simply tell people 1 year +.

peacemaker
05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
That`s pretty good. 20ml/150ml is pretty good. What other types of material can I use to create that type of applicator. I saw a video on youtube of someone applying OC with a foam applicator wrapped in a glove, then covered in a shop towel. The only turn off was the shop towel... but I understand how it helps waste less product.

cjbigcog
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
I got the applicators from CarPro. Probably over kill. Just a plain foam applicator would work.

pwaug
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Wolf`s says 24 months, but I live in a harsh climate so I simply tell people 1 year +.

Do you need to wash HB with Wolf`s car wash to get that length of durability or can you use any good car wash soap like DG 901?

imported_PiPUK
05-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Do you need to wash HB with Wolf`s car wash to get that length of durability or can you use any good car wash soap like DG 901?

That is my bug bear with Wolf`s - if you use anything other than their shampoo, the sealants don`t last as long. No matter how many excuses there are, I cannot help but go back to the fact that the competition has no similar problems.

TroyScherer
05-15-2013, 05:55 AM
That is my bug bear with Wolf`s - if you use anything other than their shampoo, the sealants don`t last as long. No matter how many excuses there are, I cannot help but go back to the fact that the competition has no similar problems.

Agreed. That is the one thing keeping me from trying out Wolf products. No matter how great the finish looks when first done, if I have to always use your products to maintain it the forget about it.

Dan
05-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Agreed. That is the one thing keeping me from trying out Wolf products. No matter how great the finish looks when first done, if I have to always use your products to maintain it the forget about it.

Yep, you aren`t alone in that respect. I`m in the same boat. I`d love to hear firsthand experience of how it does with regular soap.

imported_PiPUK
05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Yep, you aren`t alone in that respect. I`m in the same boat. I`d love to hear firsthand experience of how it does with regular soap.

I have tried it and it is fine, for a while. Then it just seems to go downhill. Wolf`s will wax lyrical that the nanobridge is blocked etc. etc. but this is just invented terminology to cover the fact that the product has stopped working. Yes, it will appear to clear up if you use nanobathe but you have to keep using it or else the same thing occurs. In fact, if you use any decent shampoo with wax, the same thing happens - magically beading re-appears. I believe that these products do not recover the original LSP through some magic nano mechanism, they simply lay down some new water repellent layer on top of whatever remains of the original LSP. As such, I suspect you are not seeing the LSP anymore, you are seeing your shampoo with wax (or nanobathe or whatever).

I have argued this elsewhere but the truth is that you can apply practically any LSP and as long as you keep topping it up with a decent wash and wax, it will pretty much appear to last as long as you persist with that wash and wax. Moreover, if you don`t bother with an LSP but wash frequently with wash and wax, it wont take long until the finish will repel water inspite of there actually being no LSP! This is not just limited to Wolf`s, there are any number of LSP products which quote lifetimes which require the use of an associated quick detailer and the same underlying mechanism is at work.

As far as I am concerned, an LSP lifetime should be quoted based on a regular wash routine of a standard shampoo with no fancy gloss enhancers/wax additives/etc., otherwise it is hard to take seriously.

DM101
05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Quick Detailer from Chemical guys fit the bill for making any sealant last longer. To me it is a must have product. I buy it by the gallon.

Guitarist302008
05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Wolf`s for me was something I considered, but I have read some mixed reviews about it so I never wound up spending the extra money on it. IMO it was sort of a flop in comparison to OC which is much more tried and true after years on the market without any complaints that didn`t seem to be attibuted to user error.

Dan
05-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Quick Detailer from Chemical guys fit the bill for making any sealant last longer. To me it is a must have product. I buy it by the gallon.

LOL, you could wash the car with Dawn and top with V7 after every wash and people would think you had some super mega LSP.