PDA

View Full Version : Opticoat on soft single stage paint?

Slick71ss
05-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Anyone have experience with OC on soft ss paint? I have a classic car with an old black ss paint job. It`s getting to the point that I`m worried that the paint is getting thin from all the polishing over the years. This paint is extremely soft, but looks great when freshly polished. Thinking the OC will help extend the life of the paint by adding a hard layer that won`t have to be polished as often?

togwt
05-13-2013, 03:28 AM
Single stage - paint tends to be more permeable (porous) and less dense (softer) than a clear coat finish. When applying a coating to a single stage paint system, the bare paint rule still applies; you need to strip the surface of all waxes, polymers (silicone) polishing oils, etc. to enable correct cross-linking and durability

AudiOn19s
05-13-2013, 07:15 AM
I worked on a heavily oxidized single stage car over a year ago that we coated after polishing to perfection. The owner reports in on a regular basis giving me updates as it was my first single stage car with opti-coat and he`s more than pleased with the results. Over a year later the car shows no signs of returning oxidation and he`s done nothing to it other than wash and spray wax since.