View Full Version : Applying Opti-Coat to hood only, sealant remainder of vehicle?

tguil
05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Because I believe the clear coat on my truck`s hood may have been compromised by sanding/polishing (a long story), I`m considering applying Opti-Coat just to the hood and continue using my lsp of choice, Mequiar`s Ultimate, on the remainder of the truck. After the Opti-Coat on the hood cures, I`ll apply Ultimate to it also.

My truck is white. Will there be a noticeable difference in the appearance of the Opti-Coated hood when compared to the rest of the truck?

Scottwax
05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
If the clear coat is compromised, there might be differences in appearance even if you use the same LSP on the whole vehicle.

I can tell you that Opti-Coat will definitely help paint with thinning clear coat. Worked great on my last Maxima, beading went from nearly non-existent when I got it to tight beads on the horizontal passages that never deteriorated while I had the car.

imported_WCD
05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
Scott- Do you ever have issues with OPTCoat`s syringe? The two I have are a paint when pushing on the syringe. Neither comes out through the blue needle so I have to use none and do drops- at times it slips and I lose product...shoots out.

Also, perhaps I am not putting enough product on the applicator. I put drops, but when spreading, the foam pad likes to grab a bit. It does not spread smoothly like a sealant.

Did a car today and have an M1 on Wed. that is headed to Bimmerfest and that has to be very, very good.

Thanks, Rob

LeMarque
05-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Scott- Do you ever have issues with OPTCoat`s syringe? The two I have are a paint when pushing on the syringe. Neither comes out through the blue needle so I have to use none and do drops- at times it slips and I lose product...shoots out.

Had a similar issue. There was a known problem last year with the syringes. Either Optimum will warranty or the supplier.

Legacy
05-12-2013, 03:17 PM
How many of you put your OC from the syringe into an atomizer spray bottle?

LeMarque
05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
How many of you put your OC from the syringe into an atomizer spray bottle?

And it doesn`t clog up the orifices?

Legacy
05-12-2013, 05:16 PM
And it doesn`t clog up the orifices?It may if left in the bottle.

It`s only a couple of bucks, so I just trash it after I`m done. I`m sure it can be cleaned with some thinner.

Scottwax
05-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Also, perhaps I am not putting enough product on the applicator. I put drops, but when spreading, the foam pad likes to grab a bit. It does not spread smoothly like a sealant.

Did a car today and have an M1 on Wed. that is headed to Bimmerfest and that has to be very, very good.

Thanks, Rob

Probably done close to 100 cars now, really haven`t had any problems with the syringe. You just kind of develop a feel for how hard to push. I cut my blue nozzles large enough that a BB could pass through, makes it easy to lightly press out 3-4 drops at a time. The pad will be a bit grabby until fully primed with product.

imported_WCD
05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks! I used the cut mf towel last night and it was much easier vs. the foam applicator. Even with not using the blue tip, the syringe is tough to push- I have to place it between my legs almost and really push with my thumb to get a few drops. Probably due to older syringe.