PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait before applying clear bra?

blnewt
05-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Car is in the body shop right now after a side collision, hood is also getting re-sprayed. I`ve heard it`s best to wait for the paint to fully cure before applying anything to the surface of the fresh paint. Is there a specific wait time? I`m thinking of going w/ the brand new 3M Paint defender spray-on DIY clear-bra and want everything to be OK before application. Thanks for any help you can provide :thumb:

Ron Ketcham
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
The person or persons with the best and safest answer is the shop that did the refinish work. They know the paint material they applied and under what conditions.

I suggest you ask them and go with their recommendation.

dorkiedoode
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
90 Days is what I heard.

WS6Fury
05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
You typically need to wait a few months for the volatiles to gas out and the paint to completely cure. Depends on the paint and clear used as well as weather.

Accumulator
05-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I`d heard that the newer water-based paints have different cure times than the old stuff.

Also, I`m always leery of taking the bodyshop`s word for stuff as too many of those guys don`t do much in the way of studying to keep up to date. Think of how bodyshops tell people to "wash with plain water" or to "not wash/polish/etc. it for two months" and stuff like that :rolleyes: