PDA

View Full Version : A big shout out to all autopians! Hi from India!

Inline6
05-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Hello to all you autopians out there!

Well, i just thought i would give a shot at writing an intro so here it is. Ever since i was delivered to earth by the proverbial stork, i have been fascinated by all things that emitted smoke and made noise. From the steam locomotives of yesteryears to the hybrids of today, each of those machines have captured a spot in my heart. My ma used to tell me i could identify cars with their exhaust notes when i was a child and dad being a car freak himself, i was told it runs in the genes :wink1:. After buying my first set of wheels only recently(its a ford figo tdci titanium, we don`t get v6`s and v8`s around here at affordable prices :bawling:), i got into reading about detailing. I got fascinated when i saw the finish some of the members here have achieved on their vehicles. Absolutely wonderful. That is how and why i decided to become a member here to learn more from all the members and veterans alike since everyone has something new to share.

That aside, my name is Rohit and i work as a software developer currently residing in a city called Chennai, which is in South India.

Once again, regards to everyone here and hope to share what little knowledge i have and also learn lots more.

I6.

David Fermani
05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Hi Rohit - Welcome to Autopia!!!

tom p.
05-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Rohit, welcome aboard! I know many of us would love to hear about what sort of products you have access to.

Take care.

Inline6
05-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Rohit, welcome aboard! I know many of us would love to hear about what sort of products you have access to.

Take care.

Yes i am sure many of you may like hearing about it. We, as in generic car owners have only a few brands to choose from. We have access to a few locally made stuff which i personally wouldn`t touch with a barge pole, let alone try that on my ride. The majority of stuff i buy comes from meguiars, ONR, MF and drying towels from 3M/Meguiars. The tyre dressing/ Interior cleaning/ Leather upholstery cleaning is also an area where we have only meguiars to choose from. Not that meguiars is a bad brand but customers do love to have choices. Pressure washers and DA rotary/elliptical machines are quite a rarity as well with only detailing shops owning them. The average joe is left with nothing but a tap and a hose at the most. Usually people who work are too busy to do the detailing themselves so they end up giving the task to their security guards(They do get paid for it, but do you think your ride is in safe hands? Absolutely not!) who are employed for the residence/colony but the people who do love detailing do use their weekends on it. Nothing like wiping the sweat off your brow and seeing the ride shine, eh?

I will just summarize the products here,

Car wash: Meguairs/ONR

Wax: Collinite 845/ Meguiars ultimate wax/paste wax

Quick Detailer: Meguiars

Clay bar: Some brand(Tried to work up my brain cells but they didn`t budge)

MF towel/Drying towels: 3M/Meguiars

Tyre dressing/Interior Cleaner/Upholstery Cleaner: Meguiars tyre foam/Interior Cleaner

Pressure washers: Karcher/Bosch/Skil (Planning on getting one of these)

DA machine: (Absolutely no idea on how to use one. Need to learn on using one and then i might plan on getting one)

#Rant: Currently the import duties on such products are high and the stuff i mentioned above cost nearly 1.2- 1.5 times they cost in the States. So this tends to be a dampener for many, who end up using dishwasher solutions and laundry soap to clean their rides.

#Endrant

P.S: Thanks for the welcome guys. Hope to run into you sometime in the future. Also, a huge thanks to the team running the website. You are doing a fine job!

Edit: Added a link here to show what i did recently. It was hard work and here is the result. I am a member of another auto forum in India where we usually hang out so if it isn`t against the rules, i have linked an image i shared with the members over there.

Click here (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/indian-car-scene/1077193d1366817303-superb-car-cleaning-polishing-detailing-guide-car2.jpg)

Brad B
05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

Inline6
05-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

Thanks for the welcome Brad!