PDA

View Full Version : HD Fabric vs CQuartz Fabric.

Mobilejay
05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
HD Fabric vs CQuartz Fabric.

A few things about the 2 products. HD is an aerosol spray, while CQ is a trigger style sprayer. HD is $12.99 for a 10oz bottle while CQ is $21.99 for 100ml (3.4oz). The aerosol sprayer on the HD can, is a very smooth, soft (if that makes sense) type of spray. You don`t have a ton of overspray everywhere and it doesn`t come out with a lot of force, like a 1980`s Aqua Net hair spray, which was pretty nice. The spray on the CQ is a typical trigger sprayer, you pull it and it sprays out in a nice pattern. Not a lot of overspray from the CQ either. In some of the pictures you will notice that the HD side did darken the seat a little bit, the CQ, from what I could see, did not. As far as feel, I don`t believe either product changed the way the fabric felt after 1 coat. I know some people are sensitive about this, but I will say the CQ smells like spray paint while the HD has a more pleasant smell. The HD from what I could tell does not have an odor that lingers. The CQ`s odor stays in the car for about 24 hours. Like I said in my post yesterday, I don`t care what a product smells like, but my clients will. Some are sensitive to very strong chemicals, and I care about my clients and how they will react to such odors.

I put a tape line down the middle of the seat to separate the two products. First I sprayed the HD and then I applied CQ to the other side. I read the instructions twice for both of them to make sure I was doing as they specified. I sprayed 1 coat for each side and once I finished, I took some pics, closed the doors and windows. I parked the car outside in the sun and let it sit for an hour. The HD instructions say 1 hour, the CQ does not say how long to wait. After an hour I took video of how the two worked.

When I posted about the testing yesterday, I posted about how one of the products has a very strong smell to it. John Parker said to use a professional hair dryer and it will kill the smell.

Today I put another coat of each on the seat to see how much of a difference there was with 2 coats. I used a hair dryer (not professional, just one I had laying around) and it did help to kill some of the smell. There is still an odor, but not nearly as strong. The smell, like I said earlier, is from the CQ. On the instructions it says "Let completely dry with sunlight or heat gun". The heat from the hair dryer seamed to work pretty good at drying the second coat and masking the smell some. I did not use the hair dryer on the HD side because it doesn`t say to on the instructions.

In the video, you can see, with 1 coat, the HD side does a great job at not letting as much water soak into the fabric, and does a great job of beading water up. CQ with one coat has a lot more water soaking into the fabric and has decent water beading. After 2 coats of CQ, the water beads up much better, and doesn`t let as much soak into the seat. HD with 2 coats, doesn`t really change too much if anything at all. I wrote a lot, but if I`m forgetting to say something, or if you have questions, let me know. I will try to answer them. Oh, after the second coat of each product the HD side did feel a tiny bit stiffer and grabby but hard to tell. The CQ side did not alter the feeling of the fabric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTlNOzPW90

David Fermani
05-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Great view. And like I said on DB, CarPro makes some great products (actually all of them are incredible). For HD to even be on the same playing field as CarPro speaks volumes about both lines. Glad the members of Autopia can capitalize on using/testing the products our sponsors offer.

Levidg
05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Great!

Where can I get the HD fabric?

tom p.
05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Very cool showdown ! Thanks for doing that.

Jean-Claude
05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
I applied cQ fabric and leather to my Footjoy BOA shoes when they were new. After a few rounds in some really muddy conditions they were a real mess. After hitting them with some water and a gentle brush they were perfect.

My .02 is cQ could benefit from an aerosol applier. My bet is that the increased atomization from an aerosol can would offer even better application.