PDA

View Full Version : leather cleaning tips with random orbital

Harper55987
05-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I have just brought in some new leather cleaning supplies but am a but confused on how to use them all

I have:

Leather master soft cleaner

Leatherique restorer

Leather Master Protection creme

Griots 3,inch orbital

Griots brush attachment for griots from detailerdomain

Some questions...

What order should I apply these?

Is leatherique restorer and protection creme the same function?

I can`t seem to get the soft cleaner to foam much. I feel like I am using so much product as if it is water and not foam

With using the orbital to clean. Do I foam the brush,a sponge to apply to seats then use the orbital?

I couldnt find to many instructions, just results. This is my first time with a water based so it is surprising how fast it dries and ungreasy it is!

togwt
05-05-2013, 05:35 AM
I have just brought in some new leather cleaning supplies but am a but confused on how to use them all

I have:

Leather master soft cleaner

Leatherique restorer

Leather Master Protection creme

Griots 3,inch orbital

Griots brush attachment for griots from detailerdomain

Some questions...

Is leatherique restorer and protection creme the same function?

I can`t seem to get the soft cleaner to foam much. I feel like I am using so much product as if it is water and not foam

With using the orbital to clean. Do I foam the brush,a sponge to apply to seats then use the orbital?

I couldnt find to many instructions, just results. This is my first time with a water based so it is surprising how fast it dries and ungreasy it is!

Basic 3- Step Leather Care

1. Clean

2. Hydrated

3. Protected

Some questions...

a) Is Leatherique restorer and protection creme the same function?

Protection and restoration are usually different processes (check their website)

b) I can`t seem to get the soft cleaner to foam much. I feel like I am using so much product as if it is water and not foam

Leather Master Soft cleaner is not a foam type product

c) With using the orbital to clean. Do I foam the brush,a sponge to apply to seats then use the orbital?

Apply product to a 100% cotton towel (do not apply direct to the surface as it may ‘spot’ clean) starting from the top of the seating surface work down. Using the orbital and the correct brush attachment using little to no pressure work the cleaner into the surface. Once surface is clean, use a clean, damp 100% cotton towel to remove residue

Note: the above methodology is usually used for very soiled surfaces - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/142600-extreme-leather-upholstery-carpet-cleaning.html

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles– “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136421-proper-finished-leather-cleaning-care.html

Alfisti
05-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Leather Master and Leatherique are different brands and different products.

They use two completely systems...don`t mix the two.

Leatherique is for older un-coated leather while Leather Master is for most modern leathers.

I suspect you need to just use the Leather Master system - cleaner followed by protection cream. I use them by hand. I`d be reluctant to use a RO on leather. Don`t see the point.

AuAltima3.5
05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Leather Master and Leatherique are different brands and different products.

They use two completely systems...don`t mix the two.

Leatherique is for older un-coated leather while Leather Master is for most modern leathers.

I suspect you need to just use the Leather Master system - cleaner followed by protection cream. I use them by hand. I`d be reluctant to use a RO on leather. Don`t see the point.

I disagree. I have successfully used Leatherique twins to bring back some very, very, VERY dirty seats in a 2008 ford for a coal miner.

Accumulator
05-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Harper55987- Noting that you already bought the GG 3" and that yeah, it`s sure nice to get a machine to do the work for you...I wouldn`t use the RO on leather unless said leather was very, very soiled. And in otherwise good condition.

Alfisti
05-05-2013, 11:20 AM
I disagree. I have successfully used Leatherique twins to bring back some very, very, VERY dirty seats in a 2008 ford for a coal miner.

I can see how it would work on coated leather as far as cleaning goes. But it`s not designed for that. On coated leather it would work as a surface cleaner, whereas, the RO is designed to clean un-coated leather from the inside out.

It won`t offer any protection, and I suspect that the slightly oily finish will prevent Leather Master Protection Cream to bond.

As I said, don`t mix the two systems. Newer coated leather benefits from the protection layers left behind by the LM product. If you start with Leatherique (which I love and use in the appropriate way) you can`t finish with the LM.

Stick to Leather Master since you have the two products you need and is designed for modern leather.

Harper55987
05-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Will take all the advice :)

The leather master works pretty well on it`s own. I bought the 3" mainly to help with carpet cleaning so I`m not opposed to some hard work on the seats.

For the most part as long as the seats haven`t been neglected for the past several years I can usually hand clean rather shortly.

Thanks!