PDA

View Full Version : New to starting detailing

Pages : [1] 2

followalong
05-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Hello I am new to these forums and today I was going to purchase a lot of stuff from autogeek. My mother convinced me i need to start out small, such as buying from Walmart or local automotive stores. I am thinking of starting out small on the exterior only doing hand wash, wax, and tire shine. For the interior I am thinking of doing vacuuming, and using a quick detailed. Below I will list the products I have found and please give me feed back. Is charging $40 for a hand wash, wax, and tire shine unreasonable? Is charging $30 for vacuuming and using a quick detailer on all surfaces and maybe clean spots off the carpet?

Interior charge $30 using products:

Vacuuming

Folex to remove stains

Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer

Leather conditioning with Lexol Leather Conditioner or Meguiar`s Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

Exterior charge $40 using:

Hand wash with "Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo and Conditioner"

Hand waxing with "Meguiar`s Nxt Generation Tech Wax 2.0"

Tire shine with Meguiar`s Hot Shine Tire Foam

Are these products good to start out with? I plan on detailing cars with simple products until I get a customer base then upgrade and buy products in bulk. Are the prices too low or too high?

dfoxengr
05-01-2013, 09:56 AM
If you`re using a good wash technique (2 buckets with grit guard) and good microfibers on the exterior, then your price is probably right on for a new detailer. As you progress and add steps and products, your prices should go up. I`d skip the interior leather "treatments" as they don`t condition leather hides since the leathers you`ll come up against are likely coated ones. I`d provide leather cleaning as an add-on though (maybe $20-30 depending on number of seats) and use a good product like Griot`s interior cleaner. It`s expensive but only use it on leather and it`ll last a long time. Use the interior quick detailer for all other surfaces. Don`t spray any product directly on leathers though as it can discolor them. Spray on towel then wipe.

Maybe look into the Garry Dean wash method with ONR (optimum no rinse) for a very fast wash with no hose required. And really quite cheap. Just need a 5 gallon bucket, 10 or so quality MF towels and the ONR.

Do some cars, increase prices by a little and see people`s reactions to your prices, keep increasing to where you`re making $40ish/hr and keep an eye on your target market. If they won`t pay that, then you need to offer lower prices but do less for them. I think most pros on here probably make 60ish/hr before taxes.

Good luck.

followalong
05-01-2013, 10:02 AM
If you`re using a good wash technique (2 buckets with grit guard) and good microfibers on the exterior, then your price is probably right on for a new detailer. As you progress and add steps and products, your prices should go up. I`d skip the interior leather "treatments" as they don`t condition leather hides since the leathers you`ll come up against are likely coated ones. I`d provide leather cleaning as an add-on though (maybe $20-30 depending on number of seats) and use a good product like Griot`s interior cleaner. It`s expensive but only use it on leather and it`ll last a long time. Use the interior quick detailer for all other surfaces. Don`t spray any product directly on leathers though as it can discolor them. Spray on towel then wipe.

Maybe look into the Garry Dean wash method with ONR (optimum no rinse) for a very fast wash with no hose required. And really quite cheap. Just need a 5 gallon bucket, 10 or so quality MF towels and the ONR.

Do some cars, increase prices by a little and see people`s reactions to your prices, keep increasing to where you`re making $40ish/hr and keep an eye on your target market. If they won`t pay that, then you need to offer lower prices but do less for them. I think most pros on here probably make 60ish/hr before taxes.

Good luck.

Ok thank you very much for your response! Yes i was worried about the leather conditioner. Yes I have looked into the ONR but I was worried, that maybe they have big mud build up, then what would I do? I do not have a power washer. The ONR would be good if I decided to go to peoples houses instead of them come to mine. I will look more into it though. Also I forgot to ask, what is your opinion on the wax and Tire shine product I have chosen?

Wasatch
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
NXT is a pretty good over the counter wax, easy to apply and wipe off, not much longevity though. If you really want to do a proper job get a DA Polisher and at least apply a polish before your LSP.

Dan
05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Your mom is a smart lady. Starting out small is really best. Its easy for those of us that have a passion for detailing to get outta control and buy lots of stuff you don`t need.

Most of your product choices are great. I love NXT, looks really great on such a variety of cars, it cleans the paint a bit and conceals a bit. I`d skip on a dedicated carpet product for now and just use an APC. You don`t need many products, in fact, most of us could get by very well with under 10. This might be an interesting read for you:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/137104-six-products.html

followalong
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Your mom is a smart lady. Starting out small is really best. Its easy for those of us that have a passion for detailing to get outta control and buy lots of stuff you don`t need.

Most of your product choices are great. I love NXT, looks really great on such a variety of cars, it cleans the paint a bit and conceals a bit. I`d skip on a dedicated carpet product for now and just use an APC. You don`t need many products, in fact, most of us could get by very well with under 10. This might be an interesting read for you:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/137104-six-products.html

That artcile is very interesting thank you for posting it. So I skip the Folex and what kind of APC should I use? Will APC work on Carpet? How many car would 18fl oz if NXT do you think? Also, a question about your article you posted. What do you do when you have a job that has alot of dirt build up, do you still use ONR?

Dan
05-01-2013, 11:16 AM
That artcile is very interesting thank you for posting it. So I skip the Folex and what kind of APC should I use? Will APC work on Carpet? How many car would 18fl oz if NXT do you think? Also, a question about your article you posted. What do you do when you have a job that has alot of dirt build up, do you still use ONR?

Megs APC+ works on anything from dirty engines, wheels and tires to leather (at different dilutions). Its great for carpets as well. Optimum Power Clean is another favorite, but it is considerably more expensive.

18oz of NXT should do 18-20 cars if you apply it thin (as you should).

The rule of thumb is, if you can pick up the dirt off the surface of the car (think pinch), you need to rinse first, then use ONR.

followalong
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Megs APC+ works on anything from dirty engines, wheels and tires to leather (at different dilutions). Its great for carpets as well. Optimum Power Clean is another favorite, but it is considerably more expensive.

18oz of NXT should do 18-20 cars if you apply it thin (as you should).

The rule of thumb is, if you can pick up the dirt off the surface of the car (think pinch), you need to rinse first, then use ONR.

Ok, a couple more questions. I am planning on purchasing my products locally and Megs APC is not avaliable. Would you recommend 303 Products - Aerospace Protectant? Also should I use NXT or Meguiar`s® Mirror Glaze® - Professional Hi-Tech Yellow Wax Liquid?

Accumulator
05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
.. I am planning on purchasing my products locally and Megs APC is not avaliable...

Check your local autobody/paint supply store. Lots of "pro products" are usually available at such places, but don`t let them talk you into buying something that they just want to sell ;)

Would you recommend 303 Products - Aerospace Protectant?

It`s a good product for what it is but I don`t think you need it. I`d use something else for tires and I can`t think of anything I`d use the 303 on (at least not for what you`re gonna be doing).

Also should I use NXT or Meguiar`s® Mirror Glaze® - Professional Hi-Tech Yellow Wax Liquid?

For your situation I`d think the NXT is the better choice (more cleaning & concealing).

brownbob06
05-01-2013, 12:15 PM
where did you find 303 aerospace protectant locally? I can`t seem to find it OTC... I like using 303 on exterior trim and interior. IIRC NXT will stain trim so you will want to have something like 303 to cover trim pieces on vehicles.

tom p.
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM

+1.

Follow, I think I`d focus more on some sort of (business) plan so you can attract customers and build a base. You will find that far more challenging than selecting a handful of products. It`s a tough environment out there...possibly tougher than you might imagine. The marketing part of the biz requires some level of planning/execution. The other stuff is e-z.

followalong
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Check your local autobody/paint supply store. Lots of "pro products" are usually available at such places, but don`t let them talk you into buying something that they just want to sell ;)

It`s a good product for what it is but I don`t think you need it. I`d use something else for tires and I can`t think of anything I`d use the 303 on (at least not for what you`re gonna be doing).

For your situation I`d think the NXT is the better choice (more cleaning & concealing).

Ok i will make some calls today! O`reillys is where im getting most my stuff, I dont think they have it there though.

Ok should I just use the Megs Quik Interior detailer instead?

Good to know, i will be buying that one then thank you so much for your help!

followalong
05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
where did you find 303 aerospace protectant locally? I can`t seem to find it OTC... I like using 303 on exterior trim and interior. IIRC NXT will stain trim so you will want to have something like 303 to cover trim pieces on vehicles.

I have seen it at O`Reilly`s locally.

brownbob06
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I think we`re missing a couple key pieces of information here as to whether time needs to be spent marketing and stuff.

Are you just doing this on the weekends as an extra source of income? Are you still in high school and just looking to this as a summer job? Or are you looking to make this your main source of income?

I don`t mean to be contrary to others, but if this is just a weekend thing marketing doesn`t necessarily need to be done. I started last year just doing work for family on the weekends and it didn`t take long through word of mouth alone before I was almost too busy to keep just doing it on weekends. I`ve put an ad on craigslist and a couple fliers up but I never got any work from them, it`s always been word of mouth and referrals. The best thing you can do is do a great job on every vehicle you do, that`s the most effective marketing you`ll ever encounter.

But like I said, I think we need more information before we can make recommendations like that lol.

followalong
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
+1.

Follow, I think I`d focus more on some sort of (business) plan so you can attract customers and build a base. You will find that far more challenging than selecting a handful of products. It`s a tough environment out there...possibly tougher than you might imagine. The marketing part of the biz requires some level of planning/execution. The other stuff is e-z.

Ok thank you! I have places I am going to advertise at, that I have already checked. Also i am just starting out with the basics such as hand wash, wax, tire shine, and interior stuff like vacuuming, and using interior detail products.