PDA

View Full Version : Rob - Eastern Ontario

cdnr
04-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey there!

I joined the forums a while ago, but remained but a "fly on the wall" until now, choosing to absorb as much information as I can. Last summer I had to supplement my income and opted to do mobile car washing / minor detailing. Basic things like wash, wax vacuum etc. Currently, I am 21 and a university student. I love these forums, and plan to continue to use them as they are a wealth of information.

I have an interview set up at the local Honda dealership for a car detailing position. I have read about the mixed bag of experience out there as far as working for dealerships goes. I feel it`s worthwhile in my situation, as the potential pros outweigh any cons that I can come up with. They are offering $15/hour and a steady 40/hrs a week. I know that dealerships have a tendency to instil bad habits and often do not put out quality work.

I am hoping that in the two weeks before my interview I will be able to begin to make a quick reference guide. I am planning to scour these forums, ask questions, and want to come up with a list of what are considered to be the most acceptable methods to deal with various situations (finishes, upholstery stains, decontaminating etc). Is this something worth doing? Or as a `new` detailer are they more likely to tell me how to do things and expect them done that way?

Anyone have any experience with having to explain to a senior employee/manager why you are doing things differently?

Brad B
04-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Results are what count. Show them your stuff!

mattgendron
04-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi! Defiantly just be ready to show you`re stuff. I got a job recently at a car dealership for detailing and there wasn`t too much of an interview, it was `trial shifts` to show my stuff.

cdnr
04-26-2013, 08:44 AM
So far I`ve been learning the Garry Dean `perfect wash` method. It seems to be my best shot at having them scratching their heads wondering how I can wash a car quickly without worrying about rinsing a sponge. I don`t think they`re expecting me to know how to correct paint so much, but I am teaching myself any ways. I`m confident that once I know and have studied my methods and reasoning inside and out (heh - being a student has paid off :P ) that I can impress them. What are the chances that a dealership will have MF towels in that quantity & approve of me employing Garry`s method?

Speaking to a family friend who is close to the owner, it randomly came up that I had applied at the dealership and was hoping to work there this summer. Before that (how i found out about the job) I called an old hockey coach who works at the lot as well, and I guess he and the woman both put in good words for me around the same time.

David Fermani
04-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

The biggest thing that can accelerate your career at a dealership is performing the work as quickly as possible with the least amount of come backs. This tends to come 2nd nature as time goes by. A low water wash method is certainly one (of many) things that can speed things up, but unfortunately the detailing product lines that dealers use don`t offer products to perform these kinds of cleanings.