PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it! Need some advice....

ADK
04-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Hello All,

It has been about 8 years since I last had a vehicle that I really wanted to take care of. I know that times and products have changed a ton since then. I am starting fresh with no equipment and no products to speak of. I am looking for advice and recommendations to fix and take care of my new 07 GT Mustang Conv. I am specifically looking for recommendations to take care of the following:

1. Stone Chips (primer still visible...not down to metal)

2. Swirls and light scratching from the previous owner from just washing the car

I am sure I will need an new buffer/polishing machine but not sure which kind would be the most universal to use. I know I will need a paint chip/scratch repair kit but not sure which would be best. I would also like suggestions on a cutting compound through polishing and waxing. I would like to stay within one company family if possible. I used to use Meguiars line of products but am not sure if they are my best option any longer.

I have been reading around the site for a few days trying to get some ideas but it is hard to try and put all the different things together. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Touchup:Dr. Colorchip is probably the best reviewed

Machine: Can`t beat the HF DA deal right now, if you want something with a lifetime warranty, the Griots 6 DA

Compound and Polish: HD Cut and HD Polish, both are super easy to use, don`t dust much, and cut and finish well.

DM101
04-25-2013, 09:39 AM
If you want to stick with one company such as Meg. then there Dual Action Polisher G110v2 is good. If not Harbor freight makes a nice polisher at a great price. Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads is a good choice Meguiars Ultra Polish Kit with 6.5 Inch Pads, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Polishes, Meguiars 105 and 295, Lake Country Foam pads (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-6inch-polish-kit.html) ... Then wax or sealant??? Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax good choice. Or Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 ..... HD is another great line of products. 3D International, LLC (http://www.hdcarcare.com/)

Randomhero
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Im using Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound, M205, and Ultimate Paste Wax with great results.

pwaug
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Touchup:Dr. Colorchip is probably the best reviewed

Machine: Can`t beat the HF DA deal right now, if you want something with a lifetime warranty, the Griots 6 DA

Compound and Polish: HD Cut and HD Polish, both are super easy to use, don`t dust much, and cut and finish well.

+1 on Dan`s comments.

Griot`s is more powerful, but with either one get a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads--HD or Buff & Shine are both great.

HD Speed is a great AIO but super as a finishing polish to any of their polishes. HD Poxy is a hybrid sealant/wax LSP with a great look and decent durability.