PDA

View Full Version : Products that get a bum rap?

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
04-24-2013, 09:32 AM
So what are some product you love and everyone else seems to avoid like the plague?

A few for me:

NXT: Amazing looks on imperfect paint. This stuff really turns borning looking paintjobs into something that looks custom. So the looks don`t last past a wash... who cares!

NoTouch Original: Gets nasty old tires clean fast and is very durable. Yeah, it makes the driveway a mess.

Megs Wheel Brightener: Gets trashed wheels clean faster than anything else. Yeah, it`s crazy toxic, what did you expect???

brownbob06
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I`ll second the No Touch. I use it all the time. Quick, easy and looks great on tires and in wheel wells that have been cleaned good.

Best thing about it is I can get it OTC at Dollar General for around $2.50 for a big can.

brownbob06
04-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Purple Power is on the list for me as well. Good in wheel wells, tires and in extremely greasy door jambs.

Scottwax
04-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Armor All. People hate on it all the time but for tires/wheel wells, its great. Water based, good shine without being too much, as durable as any other water based dressing, doesn`t sling, cheap and available anywhere.

Brad B
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
NuFinish. It`s wonderful for wheel cleaning and protection. Can`t beat the price! :)

DM101
04-25-2013, 09:18 AM
No touch I agree. Zymol Vintage Reason being the cost. Yes it cost alot. But detailing is something I enjoy. Just like people like golf, hunting, fishing etc etc they wanted a quality product. So I picked a high quality wax. Others. agree with Dan on NXT. Some others, Meg. 26, CG`s 50/50, and Meg. 34 Final Inspection detailer. Probaly one of the first detailing sprays.

Dan
04-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah, Zymol has a bunch of haters, I even like the Carbon. Glasur is the only stuff that seems to catch a break. They all look great and are a pleasure to apply. But as you said...PRICE!

E-Jag
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
This may not be a suitable candidate since enough people apparently avoided it to cause it to go away, but anyone remember Long Haul? I LOVE that stuff. Was in Big Lots about 10 years ago and saw some on a shelf, on clearance for something like $1.25 a bottle. It had gotten fairly decent reviews here so tried a bottle. Truck Degreaser and Bug Remover. Tried it the next day on my tires/wheels and some tar spots. Whoa! Went back and bought all they had, about 10 bottles. Few days later did it again. I wound up with about 25 bottles. 10 years later and I`m down to my last bottle. I`m really going to miss that stuff. It was as good as it got on wheels/tires/bugs/tar/ whatever. Most people never heard of it. A shame.

vtextc
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Turtle Wax CD2 engine cleaner. And now it`s gone :( *sob*

Asif

Alfisti
05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Most Mothers products....

Dan
05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Most Mothers products....

Agreed, I think it was you who was ranting about how good the tire cleaner was. I just tried it out a couple of weeks ago, amazing stuff. it removes ALL of the brown and makes the tires very nice and black. Seems to work quite a bit better than the EO stuff.

This may not be a suitable candidate since enough people apparently avoided it to cause it to go away, but anyone remember Long Haul?

I loved the wax and the QD. Hated the tire stuff!

Alfisti
05-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Agreed, I think it was you who was ranting about how good the tire cleaner was. I just tried it out a couple of weeks ago, amazing stuff. it removes ALL of the brown and makes the tires very nice and black. Seems to work quite a bit better than the EO stuff.

Yep, it was me...actually, I wasn`t "ranting" I was "raving". ;)

The only one readily available that is better is AG, IME.

A little off topic, just yesterday I found the BEST tyre cleaner Ive ever used in my life. It was on clearance at a local auto shop (Repco) for $10/qt. Not cheap but cheaper than the original $35/qt! ec dieseloff (http://enviroconcepts.com.au/cleaning-products/ec-dieseloff.html)

It`s not a conventional caustic cleaner. While it does have a low-ish pH it can be diluted 1:50, it`s non-toxic and with one application it completely stripped my tyres clean of all silicon dressings. After two applications my tyres where black and the side-walls squeaked. None of my previous tyre cleaners have achieved this, even AG.

I`m going to cruise the other Repco shops to pickup any stock they are clearing.

pwaug
05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Is this the Mothers Tire Cleaner you guys are refering to----MothersŪ Back-to-BlackŪ Tire Renew (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/09324.html) It`s a tire cleaner not a dressing.

Alfisti
05-05-2013, 11:11 AM
No, that`s a tyre dressing.

This is it: MothersŪ Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05924.html)

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/product/images/05924.jpg

brownbob06
05-05-2013, 11:56 AM
No, that`s a tyre dressing.

The manufacturers product description doesn`t say anything about dressing, just that it cleans and leaves it with the rubber`s natural color...