PDA

View Full Version : Towel Selection

Pages : [1] 2

IAFF78
04-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Good evening everyone.

Im looking to upgrade my towels from the walmart/auto part store brands.

For drying I`m looking at the Cobra HD.

Now for question...

Are there different types of microfiber towels for different jobs? For the interior I`m not picky(my old cheap MF towels and red shop rags should be suffice i guess). The outside is where i`m getting confused. Should i get a specific quality of towel if i use a quick shine product and another for removing compounds/polishes/waxes and yet another type for the final wipe? I plan to apply my compound/polish and wax with a DA polisher if that makes a difference. Just so many brands, gm count, edging and strands per sq inch, I`m in overload.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wasatch
04-14-2013, 01:37 AM
For removing polish, wax, sealant get a shorter nap MF towel. For QDs, final buff get a longer nap MF towel.

imported_WCD
04-14-2013, 08:41 AM
There are many "2 loop" towels. One side is plush and the other has a lower nap. You can use the same towel for a different purpose if needed. Buy more of one and save money. :)

jmsc
04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Same advice as above. But, I wouldn`t use the red rags for the interior or glass. Save them for your oil changes or maybe the wheels wells.

In general, different MF`s for different product is best.

pwaug
04-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I use 300 gsm for interior cleaning and general dirty work (different colors for each) 360 GSM for initial wipe after QD or Spray Wax and for the Gary Dean Wash Megthod then 500 or above for final buff. Waffle Weave for dying. Here`s a good source of quality but inexpensive MF Microfiber Towels & Cloths - MicrofiberTech.com (http://www.microfibertech.com/Towels-Cloths_c_138.html) the 600 GSM are super soft and fluffy.

the other pc
04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
... I wouldn`t use the red rags for the interior or glass. Save them for your oil changes or maybe the wheels wells.....

+1!!!

If they`ll scratch the crap out of your paint, why use them on your interior? They`ll completely destroy instrument cluster lenses.

white gecko
04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Check out the MF at detailing.com

White lexus 23
04-14-2013, 07:55 PM
If you are planning on using cobra mf towels for everything i think you could be disappointed or you will be forking over way to much money for the amount of towels you will get. go to sams and get the pro force ones in every color then dedicate one color for each task. you will have plenty and you will have good towels that are better than any other microfiber towels you can buy that you don`t have to order.

IAFF78
04-14-2013, 11:03 PM
OK, so heres what i gather and please correct me if i`m wrong.

300`s-interior, windows, wheels and jams

500`s- compound, polish and wax removal

600`s- QD wipedown and final wipedown

Also, I`m guessing 16x16 is a good size for all of the above?

Thanks,

Kevin

togwt
04-15-2013, 05:25 AM

Thanks,

Kevin

`The quality of cotton towels is determined by the gsm (grams per square metre). Poor quality towels have a gsm of 200 - 300. Superior quality towels have a gsm of 400 and 600. The more grams per square metre is an indication that the towel is more absorbent and longer lasting`.

I thought that the above was the way cotton towelling was rated , isn`t Microfiber rated by athe number of fibres per square inch i.e. pprox 50,000 for an average micro fibre towel and up to 200,000 fibres per square inch for a plush micro fibre towel.

Microfiber is made from a mixture of Polyester and Polyamide at a certain ratio (i.e. 80/20) this `nylon` material is very light and it would be difficult to compete on a weight comparison to cotton towelling

imported_Cardaddy
05-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Thanks,

Kevin

Size, yes. ;) Although there is a Eurow 660 that`s 12x16 and actually works out really well.

`The quality of cotton towels is determined by the gsm (grams per square metre). Poor quality towels have a gsm of 200 - 300. Superior quality towels have a gsm of 400 and 600. The more grams per square metre is an indication that the towel is more absorbent and longer lasting`.

I thought that the above was the way cotton towelling was rated , isn`t Microfiber rated by athe number of fibres per square inch i.e. pprox 50,000 for an average micro fibre towel and up to 200,000 fibres per square inch for a plush micro fibre towel.

Microfiber is made from a mixture of Polyester and Polyamide at a certain ratio (i.e. 80/20) this `nylon` material is very light and it would be difficult to compete on a weight comparison to cotton towelling

MF still goes by gsm weight as well. That not withstanding, I was talking with Ian at MF Tech this week and we were talking about the Eurow 350`s at Costco (and others) when he was saying that *they* got a number of "big box" stores into selling MF towels. Along that line of thinking, Ian was also saying that you can have two towels, both are 360 gsm yet one will have MUCH MORE microfiber in it than the other. Quote "Some use a thicker backing material, making the fabric weigh more but the towel itself isn`t as good as the other one where it has more microfiber and thicker nap".

Needless to say my next order will be several cases from Ian. :smile1:

Guitarist302008
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
didn`t walmart start stocking a pretty nice towel for removing waxes/polishes? There`s also a whole thread on here about a drying towel from walmart that people were raving about.

Accumulator
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
My local Walmart now stocks a slightly different (plush) MF drying towel, that IMO isn`t quite as good as the older (blue on one side, gray on the other) version. They`re OK for, uhm...less-than-critical duty.

imported_Cardaddy
05-06-2013, 01:30 PM
My local Walmart now stocks a slightly different (plush) MF drying towel, that IMO isn`t quite as good as the older (blue on one side, gray on the other) version. They`re OK for, uhm...less-than-critical duty.

I don`t like ever get to Walmart, but I think I remember some last time I was there. I`m taking it the ones you`re talking about are like $8~$9 for the pair? I`m thinking I`d still go with MF Tech. :noidea:

brownbob06
05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Walmart has microfiber packs of 15 for 9.99... I haven`t seen any as expensive as you`re talking there...