PDA

View Full Version : synthetic wax

imported_joet
04-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I found out that the synthetic wax is called a sealant is that correct? I was using Nufinish on an old paint it worked well. Now that i am dealing with a new paint on a new car and since Nufinish has some sand like partials in it to remove minor scratches, I would like to use partial-free synthetic wax that is more for new paint. What do you folk suggest? Thanks.

Ron Ketcham
04-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Simple answer, 90`s of the liquid waxes or sealants sold today, contain synthetic waxes/polymers in the product.

For a very simple reason, they have a higher "melt" point and are more "anti-corrosive" in their protection.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with your continuing to use Nu-Finish liquid, as that "sand" is not a "sand", but a rare earth that is in a ton of such products, it is a very fine polishing abrasvie and will not damage a finish when used as directed.

If you are just looking for a "protective" product, as a LSP (last step protection), 3D has a couple that good products,

Dan
04-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Yep, just like Ron said, its very difficult to even find a product that doesn`t contain synthetic polymers. I don`t think you can at regular stores. As long as you have one of the newer NuFinish bottles, anything made in the last 5 years, it doesn`t have those large abrasive particles. Are you looking for something readily available or mail order? For OTC, if you have a carquest around, it is very hard to beat Duragloss 105.

togwt
04-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Basic components

Although somewhat more complex than other products, organic waxes and inorganic sealants also involve just basic chemistry, when a formulator designs a wax or sealant, they consider several factors; ease of application and removal, cleaning ability (if required), depth of gloss or shine, durability and resistance to detergents / soap.

Unfortunately, no one wax or sealant product can meet all of the above characteristics. If one is emphasized and enhanced, it will be to the detriment of another. For example, increased durability means that application and removal can be more difficult. Or, if cleaning capability is emphasized, the depth of shine will be less.

The best wax or sealant to use is one that provides as many of the characteristics as possible to achieve a shiny, durable finish

The basic components used in waxes and sealants are

• Solvents or mineral oils- used for chemical cleaning, and as a carrier system, it also makes products workable and to provide spread ability, as is the case with Carnauba wax, which in its natural state is rock hard.

• Emulsifiers - to stabilize the product (oil and water) and make it easier to use

• Very-light abrasives – Kaolin to provide mild cleaning and to aid the wax in drying consistently for easy wipe-off

• Surfactant- defined as a material that can greatly reduce the surface tension of liquids

• Colouring- purely aesthetic

• Fragrance- appealing fragrances help to sell the product

Typical Wax Formula

It is among the hardest of natural waxes, being harder than concrete in its pure form

• Water: 30-60%

• Petroleum and oil-based solvents: 15-40%

• Abrasives: 10-30% (typically very fine silicate minerals, Kaolin or China clay)

• Organic and/or Inorganic (Synthetic) waxes: 0-5%

• Silicone polymer: 0-5%

• Surfactants: 1-5%

• Additives: 0-3%

• Fragrance, thickeners, etc

Significant portions (10-30%) of waxes are composed of drying oil or solvents that have a fast evaporation rate (Linseed, Turpentine or Môntan) oils are usually used with Carnauba wax. Designed as a carrier; it dissolves, carries and spreads the wax over the surface, before evaporating.

imported_joet
04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys for the info.

I prefer readily available products. 3D is interesting wax that comes in spray bottle. Autozone does not carry Duragloss 105 too bad. I would like to take a shot at a synthetic wax without the polishing abrasive partial. Do you know of any? Thanks.

Perfections
04-13-2013, 09:48 PM
If you only want something readily available, get armor all extreme shield. I hate the armor all brand but this is the best at Walmart/target currently. But they are pulling it off the shelves!!! Get it before it`s gone, easy on/off and I`m at like 6 months and it`s still there..embarrassing my other test subjects :(

imported_joet
04-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I`ll give this shot. Thanks.

If you only want something readily available, get armor all extreme shield. I hate the armor all brand but this is the best at Walmart/target currently. But they are pulling it off the shelves!!! Get it before it`s gone, easy on/off and I`m at like 6 months and it`s still there..embarrassing my other test subjects :(

Dan
04-14-2013, 06:53 AM

I prefer readily available products. 3D is interesting wax that comes in spray bottle. Autozone does not carry Duragloss 105 too bad. I would like to take a shot at a synthetic wax without the polishing abrasive partial. Do you know of any? Thanks.

Meg`s Ultimate wax is very good and lasts 5-6 months in my experience. Also doesn`t stain trim. However it doesn`t have the mild cleaning ability of DG105 which I really like. NXT has good cleaners, but it will only last about 3 months outdoors.

pwaug
04-14-2013, 07:18 AM

I prefer readily available products. 3D is interesting wax that comes in spray bottle. Autozone does not carry Duragloss 105 too bad. I would like to take a shot at a synthetic wax without the polishing abrasive partial. Do you know of any? Thanks. Most CarQuests carry DG products. Also, NAPA stores don`t have it on the shelf, but will get it for you in 24 hours. On the DG website you can also find other stores that carry it in your area.

imported_joet
04-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Dan,

What is the cleaning ability that you speak of? Is it the polishing abrasive sand like partial?

pwanug,

NAPA is a good option for me. Thanks.

Dan
04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Dan,

What is the cleaning ability that you speak of? Is it the polishing abrasive sand like partial?

No, its a chemical solvent based cleaner that removes day to day crap and mild oxidation off your paint and makes it very smooth. Some people don`t like cleaners because they want to "layer" their favorite product, but in reality, very few products actually layer regardless of having cleaners or not.

Accumulator
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
joet- Check your local autobody/paint supply store, many of them have a good selection of pro-level products. Just don`t let the employees there talk you into buying something they want to sell ;)

togwt
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Dan,

pwanug,

NAPA is a good option for me. Thanks.

A chemical paint cleaner is used to remove oxidation and colour staining (they contain a fine mineral clay, rich in Kaolinite (Kaolin or China clay) and mild a solvent). You can use traditional polishing techniques (small working sections, higher speed, increased pressure) to remove extremely fine swirl marks, it is designed more of a paint cleanser; so apply using a finishing pad, slow speed and clean one panel at a time.

imported_joet
04-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.