PDA

View Full Version : Second year into detailing.. seeking some opinions for polish choice

Zelfiris
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Hi Everyone, I had great success last year performing my first clay/compound/polish on the car thanks to everyone`s advices (especially Accumalator`s) from this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/140551-need-some-beginner-advice-product-choice-polish-compound-required.html

I have then moved on to weekly reviews of articles, videos, checking the click and brag section, went over to auto geek forum, to detail image blogs and just everywhere. What I found is.. I still need to ask specify questions when I need the opinions of those who have more experience with a wide range of products :)

My objective: to perform a mild polish (not compound) this year and opti-coat the whole car. (Already did the rims and body kits that were freshly painted)

Car is 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Mirabeau Blue (dark blue, soft paint)

- whole week is raining so I do not have photos yet of the current paint condition. However I have been performing two bucket wash since last year`s polish and two times with Gary Dean`s wash method last winter.

Arsenal:

Griot Garage DA

Lake Country White Polishing Pad 6" and 4"

M205 - 8oz bottle

CarPro Eraser

Issue: I have 2 oz of M205 left from last year`s polish and used quite a bit on the rims too.

Question:

- Looking for a new polish to try with my white polishing pads that will finish amazing for opti-coat. From your experience, what polish did you used with a white pad to generate great results?

- I`m also exploring to invest in a finishing pad and a new high gloss polish to go with it (if it will yield better results than the white pad). Perhaps a 2-step polish for this year? What do you think?

Cost will be a factor, I don`t want to hold too much product since I won`t be working on other cars.

Thanks,

Kouyo

Wasatch
04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Since you are going to Opti-Coat, why not try out Optimum`s polish, they make some very nice products.

Zelfiris
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Since you are going to Opti-Coat, why not try out Optimum`s polish, they make some very nice products.

Thanks for response John!

I have actually thought about it. I have their opti-bond, OCW, ONR, Hyper Compound, Optimum APC.. almost everything by them :)

I want to see if people have opinions of positive experiences of other brands with the white pad

chrisguga
04-11-2013, 05:34 PM
I love Optimum products, but HD Polish is the best polish I`ve used. I`d have to recommend it.

IHA Mark
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
I love Optimum products, but HD Polish is the best polish I`ve used. I`d have to recommend it.

This is great advice. Optimum makes amazing stuff but HD Polish is hard, if not impossible to beat.

Zelfiris
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I forgot to mention I`m in Canada and the Canadian market don`t carry HD stuff.. at least from the places I buy my stuff from (eshine and wisdomdetail)

Chemical guys, Menzerna, Optimum, Poor Boy`s, Wolfgang, and Meguiar are the typical brands open to me

6SuperSport7
04-16-2013, 03:05 PM
I have liked all of the Mezerna products I have tried. SF 4500 is a great finishing polish, especially on soft paint like you said you have.