PDA

View Full Version : Optima DMF Steamer - Best Practices

Pages : [1] 2

SmartDetz
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi guys, I`m a long time lurker but have been detailing since I way a child using many different methods that are popular with the gang here at autopia.

I just purchased an Optima DMF for its cleaning ability that seems to be very robust. Its power is incredible but precise thanks to the moisture control valve (bonus: two operators can run the machine at once without any loss of pressure), it`s big step up in price however when I compared to the carmin super innox it didn`t hold a candle to the optima. My question for those with experience with the optima - what have you found to be the best methods for cleaning paint both safely and efficiently?

I`ve been using it in conjunction with ONR with varying degrees of success - what are you doing?

SmartDetz
04-09-2013, 09:39 PM
perhaps JohnKleven can chime in??

I'm_ILL
04-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi guys, I`m a long time lurker but have been detailing since I way a child using many different methods that are popular with the gang here at autopia.

I just purchased an Optima DMF for its cleaning ability that seems to be very robust. Its power is incredible but precise thanks to the moisture control valve (bonus: two operators can run the machine at once without any loss of pressure), it`s big step up in price however when I compared to the carmin super innox it didn`t hold a candle to the optima. My question for those with experience with the optima - what have you found to be the best methods for cleaning paint both safely and efficiently?

I`ve been using it in conjunction with ONR with varying degrees of success - what are you doing?

Funny I just posted this last night http://www.autopia.org/forum/eco-friendly-car-detailing/144487-optima-owners.html

I`ve been using it in conjunction with ONR myself just recently. Still on the fence whether to do that or blast off quick with wet steam then wash with dry steam. How long does it take you to wash a sedan?

sulla
04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
I`d like to know moreabout this steamer as well...

How does it do against bugs and tars ?

Can it remove `the other guy`s wax and polish` ?

Can it remove dirt build-ups like around emblems and edges ?

Austin M detail
04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I`ve had mine for 1 month now, and I really like it, but it`s still taking some getting use to, especially since I use to carry pressure washer, water tank, etc... it`s different. I have tried a couple different methods, and using ONR works well in my opinion, but with this system you have to find what works for you, spray and wipe at same time, spray a section then wipe, etc..

I`m still learning, but I wouldn`t change back, I really like this.....also, a piece of transmission hose works really well for the drain valve if you plan to use it in a truck or van, just be very careful when releasing the steam, I learned the hard way and burned the crap out of stomach and leg...lesson learned :)...

Austin M detail
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
I`d like to know moreabout this steamer as well...

How does it do against bugs and tars ? ------>ANSWER: I think its awesome! it removes bugs and tar very well, with nothing but steam!

Can it remove `the other guy`s wax and polish` ? ----->ANSWER: I guess if you leave the steam on long enough it will remove it.

Can it remove dirt build-ups like around emblems and edges ? ------>ANSWER: yes and no, if its been there for a while and embed itself into the clear/paint, it`s still hard to get out, thats my experience

I answered from experience above, but this system is still new to me.

SmartDetz
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
I didn`t expect the machine to have much of a learning curve however i think there is a few ways to improve efficiency and quality with the use of ONR - Nothing quite leaves the same shine as ONR. I haven`t yet timed myself, however it left as though it took longer to clean chase around spots on the paint than it took to clean the interior.

Im thinking you want a small amount of ONR to be on the paint when drying - I`m thinking pre-spray with onr and steam (low moisture)/ dry with mf.

Have you experimented with different moisture settings on paint?

I'm_ILL
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I didn`t expect the machine to have much of a learning curve however i think there is a few ways to improve efficiency and quality with the use of ONR - Nothing quite leaves the same shine as ONR. I haven`t yet timed myself, however it left as though it took longer to clean chase around spots on the paint than it took to clean the interior.

Im thinking you want a small amount of ONR to be on the paint when drying - I`m thinking pre-spray with onr and steam (low moisture)/ dry with mf.

Have you experimented with different moisture settings on paint?

I got my Optima this past summer. For a while I was washing with the moisture control valve open approximately 10%. Problem with this is I was using 7-9 towels per wash and having to go back and re-wash dirt spots. I spoke with Steamericas and contacted a couple of other Optima owners and they wash with moisture valve closed. In really humid/hot climates the 10% method is used. They are also only using 2-3 towels. I have yet to speak to someone in the northeast region who has to deal with cold/salt conditions. I`m doing pretty good with interior cleaning. Still experiment every now and then. I`m just trying to improve my methods and quality while saving time with such a beast of equipment. I asked Steamericas to have a forum for owners to discuss methods, techniques, and business models. There are no videos explaining how to use the machine to it`s maximum ability which is surprising considering how many years it`s been out already. I guess we`ll just have to start our own forum :)

SmartDetz
04-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the insight - Today I tried the optima on 75% moisture and a soaked mf wash mitt (ONR), and it turned out quite nice. That being said I`m using a surprising amount of water and have to do a final drying pass with a large mf. I am in Toronto Canada, so i think the extra moisture is needed, also i find with a higher % of moisture I no longer have to go back and chase missed spots or smears.

It`s odd that I purchased the optima with the intent to not only up the quality of our detailing but improve time efficiency, but honestly I`ve been taking as long or longer than previous "manual" methods... I think with this new found cleaning power I might be going over and above what the customer is paying for (more than i normally do).

I'm_ILL
04-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the insight - Today I tried the optima on 75% moisture and a soaked mf wash mitt (ONR), and it turned out quite nice. That being said I`m using a surprising amount of water and have to do a final drying pass with a large mf. I am in Toronto Canada, so i think the extra moisture is needed, also i find with a higher % of moisture I no longer have to go back and chase missed spots or smears.

It`s odd that I purchased the optima with the intent to not only up the quality of our detailing but improve time efficiency, but honestly I`ve been taking as long or longer than previous "manual" methods... I think with this new found cleaning power I might be going over and above what the customer is paying for (more than i normally do).

75% is definitely a lot of water. As a mobile car wash/detailer, I purchased this machine to save time, the advantage to go practically anywhere with no water reclamation, and the ability to wash more cars with less water. Plus the less towels I need to wash the better. My theory behind using the ONR was to save water in the tank as well as take off heavy salt since that was my biggest pain recently. I now want to try using the spray bottle attachment filled with ONR and see how that goes.

SmartDetz
04-12-2013, 12:35 PM
great idea! I completely forgot about that attachment - Can it be bought through secondary suppliers such as innovasteam (Montreal) or must it be direct from manufacturer?

I'm_ILL
04-12-2013, 09:20 PM
great idea! I completely forgot about that attachment - Can it be bought through secondary suppliers such as innovasteam (Montreal) or must it be direct from manufacturer?

Inovasteam should have it. Check out website or give them a call.

SmartDetz
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
How much water do you go through on a full inside and out detail using the optima?

I'm_ILL
04-13-2013, 04:21 PM
How much water do you go through on a full inside and out detail using the optima?

I use about 4 gallons.

Austin M detail
04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I use about 2 gallons on average, but I also have used 6-7 gallons on a big dodge dually truck that had mud everywhere.