PDA

View Full Version : Well... Im back and thinking of

forever
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
using Adams products. :confused:

The Story:

Around 2 years ago I stumbled upon this site looking for a detailer in St. George Utah. I Managed to get a hold of SuperBee364 and ended up getting my 2010 CCSB Duramax detailed. (Thread: http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/133925-duramax-detail.html). Instead of going out and buying a polisher and keeping the knowledge "fresh", I got busy with my job and the knowledge faded. Being OCD, my paint has drove me crazy for at least a year now. I need another polishing and wax, But I`m to afraid to mess it up.

Why Don`t I go to (SuperBee364) again?

I have now moved. The nearest detailer I know of is Greg Nichols. Being 4 hours away, I can`t justify spending that kind of money to drive it back 4 hours. (Maybe :tongue2:)

Anyways, I have set down for hours upon hours reading the vast amounts of information on this site and many others. Honestly, I`m overwhelmed and frustrated. So I come to all of you for guidance.

The Vehicle:

2010 CCSB Black on Black Duramax

20,XXX Miles

Pavement Queen (Never offroad or gravel)

Winter Driven maybe twice a season. Immediately washed off no matter what.

Driven once or twice a month for a night on the town.

Stored in tempered controlled garage everyday.

Interior is flawless.

Exterior: Low / Medium Marring, Low / Medium Webbing, Medium / High Hairline scratches

Recent Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/Gudac/DSC_0366a_zpsbaae5c08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/Gudac/DSC_0380_zpsfb5f0717.jpg

Best Image I could get of the hood (the worst area). Keep in mind that it just got rained on 2 minutes before this picture. The spots are rain. You can see the hairline scratches in the red box. They cover most of the hood and are also on some of the other panels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/Gudac/DSC_0013a_zps40b3c73a.jpg

SuperBee364 Has already "Cut & Polished" the paint to get out the scratches from the dealer. What was left over was very minimal. But that was 2 years ago.

Wash Method / Products Used:

2 bucket method with Grit Gaurds

BHB Brush that passes the CD Test

Pressure washer

Distilled Water

Leaf Blower or last choice (MF Towel)

ONR

The Questions:

My Washing method seems to work pretty good. The Marring and Webbing seems to be from normal wear and tear (Wind, Rain, Snow).

So I`m looking for complete guidance on: Polishing & Waxing

Polishers:

Rupes or Flex?

I`m looking for ease of use.

Clay Bar:

Adams? With some ONR?

Products:

Looking at using Adams products? There 5 Step program seems somewhat easy to get a good result.

Whats your opinion on this ^ Should I use another line of products?

Foam Gun:

Just ordered the MTM Foam Lance with Chemical Guys Honey Dew.

How is this gun?

My overall goal is to enjoy doing this. I don`t want to be so caught up with making it perfect I never enjoy it.

Good Results, Decent Time, and products that help me keep it clean easier.

Shane.belzers
04-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Seems like you take good care of your black truck, there are few guys like yourself!

For the polisher just get yourself the harbor freight DA and some HD polish and a blue, green and white foam B&S Pad and your good to go. For how well you maintain your truck why buy a $400 DA when a $60 one with a 2 year warranty should suffice, we have 3 plus a flex in our shop.

Clay: Grab some clay magic from auto magic, the finer grade (its blue or something) Cant remember but they have 2 colors of clay one fine and one medium grade i think.

So do you just need help on the polishing/ waxing stuff or general care?

pwaug
04-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Here are some things to think about that perhaps will get some others responding that have experience with each of the polishers available to you:

The HF polisher mentioned by Shane is fine and will do the job for you, however, by the time you buy a new backing plate, pads etc you`ll have spent at least a $100 so why not consider the HD Polisher Kit from our sponsor here 3D International, LLC :: Buffing Pads and DA Polisher :: HD Polisher Kit (http://www.hdcarcare.com/HD-Polisher-Kit.html) It comes with a quality 5" backing plate, 3 pads, carrying case, 2 MF towels and a bottle of HD Speed that may be all you need for your paint since it is in good shape. Add a few additional pads and your on your way.

The Flex and the Rupes (especially the 21) are known for quick removal of serious defects so perhaps you don`t need their capabilities. However, the Rupes has the added benifit of being very smooth in it`s operation and this may be something you`re interested in. The Flex is forced rotation and some say they have never been really able to adjust to it`s motion. You can give Kevin Brown a call at Buffdaddy.com (another of our sponsors here) and he`ll be glad to discuss the Rupes with you--maybe the Rupes 15 would suit your needs.

Of the standard DA`s out there (HF, PC, Megs, Groits) IMO the Groits is the best all around polisher for the weekend detailer. It is the most powerfull of the DAs and it has a lifetime warranty--not to mention the excellent customer service by Griots. With a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads it`s almost impossible to stop rotation on speeds 5 and 6 and very difficult of speed 4--really handy on curved bits on the car.

For polishing products you might want to consider HD products as they are very user/beginner friendly--long working times, no dusting, easy to remove and they leave no heavy oils behind (that need to be removed before applying your LSP) to hide swirls--3D International, LLC :: Polishes & Compounds (http://www.hdcarcare.com/Polishes-Compounds/) HD Speed is an All In One that is an excellent product to use first time polishing. But, perhaps you`d only need HD UNO which is medium cut, but finishes down really well-it may have all the cut you need to correct your paint.

G8chick
04-14-2013, 05:51 PM
I use strictly Adams on my cars, cars I do on the side, all products are very easy to use, they have videos to show you what to do, forum for any questions and someone usually answers immediately. Not to mention the 110% guarantee and over the top amazing customer service