PDA

View Full Version : water filtering

yas
04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I`ve looked at cr spotless which I think instantly outputs DI water

Are there other, cheaper units that produce water that dries spot free, but may take longer to filter the water? So the water could be filtered and stored for use later?

Just curious if such units exist and are they cheaper since they don`t need to filter immediately?

Guitarist302008
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I think purewaterproducts is the site, but the filters they have won`t give you a spotless finish like DI water will. The CR spotless is something i`d like to get, but I can`t get past having to pay for a new filter so often.

Accumulator
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Any filtering/conditioning is good IMO/IME, but it won`t be the same as deionizing. My water is really good by the time it gets to the faucet, but I can still tell a significant diff between that what the CRS produces.

IMO it`s a matter of how bad the water is to begin with; my pre-softener filters catch all sorts of nasty stuff so I`m confident that I need them even if they don`t help with spotting. My water is pretty soft to begin with too, friends who have the same water don`t bother softening, but I can sure tell a diff and *to me* that`s worth doing too. I don`t really *need* the CRS, but sometimes it`s worth using.

Guitarist302008
04-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Any filtering/conditioning is good IMO/IME, but it won`t be the same as deionizing. My water is really good by the time it gets to the faucet, but I can still tell a significant diff between that what the CRS produces.

IMO it`s a matter of how bad the water is to begin with; my pre-softener filters catch all sorts of nasty stuff so I`m confident that I need them even if they don`t help with spotting. My water is pretty soft to begin with too, friends who have the same water don`t bother softening, but I can sure tell a diff and *to me* that`s worth doing too. I don`t really *need* the CRS, but sometimes it`s worth using.

You know what I like? The fact that I have a water bill and all of the cars around here have spots so bad on the windows NOTHING I have tried has removed them... not CG waterspot remover, not vinegar, not even my most aggressive pad/polish combo.

Shane.belzers
04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Its not pretty but a kid I just hired showed me steel wool and HF acid diluted down works great. We don`t do that on cars but I had to test it to see, the acid was neutralized right away and caution was taken near trim etc.. But I must say it worked perfect. I wouldnt use this method being newer glass is softer and scratching might occur

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Dan
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I`ve had pretty good luck with RO water. My TDS readings were in the single digits. Drawbacks are lots of waste water and super low flow.

Accumulator
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I`ve had pretty good luck with RO water. My TDS readings were in the single digits. Drawbacks are lots of waste water and super low flow.

I have two ROs for drinking water (house and garage/shop) and I`ve used it to mix up some stuff over the years. Can`t see getting the quantities I`d need for detailing though, not without some huge setup :think:

Dan
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you`d have to have a large collection tank and it would take a while to fill. Not a bad setup if you can use the waste water.

Accumulator
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
.. Not a bad setup if you can use the waste water.

Yeah, they sure do produce a lot of waste water, that`d be perfectly good for lots of uses.

Kean
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Of all the various tools and products I`ve purchased over the years, my CRS DIC-20 has to be one of my most favorite. .....and one that I would find it very difficult to live without. I have recorded PPM levels over 500 straight from the tap in my area (which is quite bad).

As for media cost, it definitely pays to buy the resin by the cubic foot. The cheapest I have found it was from Windows101. A cubic foot bag is currently about $145 shipped to my door and will fill the (2) 20" canisters on my DIC-20 3 times with a little to spare. How long the resin lasts will depend greatly on how you use the DI water in your process and the quality of your water. Keeping the flow rate within the recommended range for your system is also very important since it will directly affect performance.

Ben@3D
04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
If you are in a metropolitan area, there will probably be places that will sell you RO water. At least here in California/Nevada where the water is hard and abrasive to the skin ;)

(A majority of the 3D stores sell RO water too.)

You can usually pick it up for 10 cents or gallon or under. Alot cheaper than investing thousands on a good system.