PDA

View Full Version : APC in Steamer?

Pages : [1] 2

LeMarque
04-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Thinking of quick details. I know some folks feel steaming vents just pushes the dust and dirt down into the ducts.

So my McCulloch, which costs $120 +/- is going to be the guinea pig. Thought is, APC would help to breakup/dissolve the grime and , hopefully drastically reduce or eliminate the need to use a MF wrapped popsicle stick to clean each and every vane. Again, aiming for efficiency and time reduction to be able to offer a mini detail. If it boosts the cleaning power of the steamer it would help in cup holders, etc.

Thoughts?

imported_WhyteWizard
04-06-2013, 06:51 AM
The APC might not volatilize at the same temperature as the water so you might end up with some of the components coming out first then others later. I think I`d spray my cleaner on the vents then hit with steam.

I use a paint brush but the cars I do aren`t typically bad.

Robert

Accumulator
04-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Hmmm.... wonder how it`ll work out :think:

I`ve never run anything through the chemical injection of my Daimer as I somehow felt leery about it, like I might use the wrong stuff and crud up the machine or something.

imported_PiPUK
04-06-2013, 01:16 PM
The APC might not volatilize at the same temperature as the water so you might end up with some of the components coming out first then others later. I think I`d spray my cleaner on the vents then hit with steam.

I use a paint brush but the cars I do aren`t typically bad.

Robert

Bang on. Worse still, many ingredients will be almost totally non-volatile. For instance, the alkalinity providers (unless it is ammonia) will basically salt out. Think about salt water and what happens if you let it dry on your skin - a salty residue will remain. As such, you do run the risk that this occurs in the system somewhere and can lead to a blockage.

Most importantly, as WhyteWizard says, you will get an effect where the solvents will evaporate away quickly leaving the non-volatiles getting more and more concentrated in the tank - so the benefit from doing this is not certain. If you want to boost the power of a steamer, pre-spray the area with an appropriate APC. I do warn the use of the right APC, spraying high foam APCs or caustic APCs (there are many) is not wise on fabrics as foamy surfactants can be difficult to remove whilst caustics are well known to result in slow degradation (i.e. you won`t see it for maybe months or years) and compromise colour fastness.

Paul Sparks
04-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I run nothing but distilled water in my vx5000. This week I was at a remote location and ran out of dw and had to use well water. I`m now running a little vinegar through it to be on the safe side. The great advantage is using little or no chemicals w/steam. I never put cleaners in the steamer itself.

LeMarque
04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Guess I`ll pass on my bright idea. Did some research of the MDS of certain APC`s and never thought of the chemistry. Seems the compounds do contain `salts` in one form or another, Even tho I was prepared to flush the tanks with vinegar or the like, if the product breaks down because of the heat or pressure, it`s not worth experimenting.

Reluctant to give up on the idea of even saving a few steps in detailing vents, etc. would a product like this (http://www.uniquemm.com/collections/all-products/products/grime-eater) be suitable. Or would the enzymes also there cleaning ability under heat and pressure.

imported_PiPUK
04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Biologicals and enzymes are probably not ideal because they will be denatured (deactivated permanently) by excessive heat. Of course that heat is exactly what happens in a steamer....

Accumulator
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
LeMarque- I`d use one of the aerosol products made for vents/ductwork..for those cases where you really need to do it.

LeMarque
04-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Biologicals and enzymes are probably not ideal because they will be denatured (deactivated permanently) by excessive heat. Of course that heat is exactly what happens in a steamer....

Some days it`s just not worth chewing thru the restraints :wall

LeMarque
04-08-2013, 10:23 PM
LeMarque- I`d use one of the aerosol products made for vents/ductwork..for those cases where you really need to do it.

You mean like Stoner`s? I use that after it`s clean.

I did try spraying the vent`s with APC, gave it a bit of dwell time then hit it with the steamer. Helped some but still had areas that needed a MF wrapped popsicle stick.

Here in NM many of the roads, even in the very upscale areas, are dirt. Lots of sand in most of the daily drivers.

Kean
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
You mean like Stoner`s? I use that after it`s clean.

....like 1Z Klima-Cleaner:

How to apply einszett Klima-Cleaner (http://www.1z-usa.com/klima-cleaner_application.html)

Accumulator
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
....like 1Z Klima-..

Right. Though, per usual, I kinda prefer the Wurth brand product.

LeMarque
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
....like 1Z Klima-Cleaner:

How to apply einszett Klima-Cleaner (http://www.1z-usa.com/klima-cleaner_application.html)

Guess I wasn`t clear.

I use that for odor treatment. Not to clean grime from the vents.

LeMarque
04-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Right. Though, per usual, I kinda prefer the Wurth brand product.

Specifically :confused:

Accumulator
04-09-2013, 11:41 AM
LeMarque- Eh, been so long since I used either of them that I can`t say just *why* I liked the Wurth better :confused: :nixweiss Probably just liked its smell better.

Certainly no huge diff, could just be a case of me being me :o You won`t go wrong with either one.