PDA

View Full Version : Older product go-bys or `ol faithfuls?

Pages : [1] 2

Inzane
04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
There are so many threads on new products, I just wanted to drum up some discussion on some older products that USED to be all the rage on this site and others. This hobby has a tendency to get one obsessed with chasing the next new thing, whether its the new wax of the week or technology breakthrough in polymer chemistry or whatever. But what I want to hear from you guys is what older products do you guys still occasionally use off your shelf?

I joined this site back in 2003 and from then over about 5-6 years I collected a tonne of product (from the "obsession" phase I mentioned above), and at some point the hobby took a bit of a step back due to other life/work priorities. As i look at my product collection now I have so much that I don`t have a desire to go out and buy yet another wax, yet another sealant, yet another polish.

Here`s a look at what I`m talking about that I still have ample supply of (just LSPs for now):

P21S, Souveran, EX-P, 4*UPP, VM/CM, Meg`s #20, 26, 16, NXT, PB`s Natty orig & red, OCW

The most recent product I bought was Wolfgang`s DSG v3, which I haven`t actually tried yet.

I realize some of those are not that old, while some are really that old.

What products from that prior era do you still keep in your collection and still happily use from time to time? Any that you have permanently retired from service swearing you`ll never use again? Let`s discuss.

Wasatch
04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I`m still a fan of VM and CMW, but do not have anymore of it. I`m looking at getting some Poorboy`s stuff soon, have used them in the past as well.

Dan
04-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Some stuff that has good staying power:

-ONR and OCW...OID has faded away for most but I still love it

-Collinites

-Claymagic Blue

-KAIO

-FK1000P

-M26

pingable
04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
I have tried many but nothing has ever come close to replacing Z16 for me

Scottwax
04-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Clearkote Carnauba Moose and Quikshine

Collinite 476

911fanatic
04-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

POPPAJ
04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
Wesleys tire cleaner. Using for over 40 years.

Accumulator
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Heh heh...you young guys listing modern stuff as your old reliables :chuckle:

I, OTOH, thought of my continued use of Meguiars New Car Glaze (AKA M05), and to a much lesser extent M07, and M16. Same products my family was using back in the `50s.

Augoglym`s SRP goes back a ways too...

DaGonz
04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
The Meg`s Professional line has always worked for me.

Bill D
04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I continue to use Klasse AIO on all kinds of things like trim to my mailbox .

imported_Bence
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Still have bottles from a 1992 batch of the ol` Euro spec AIO, which was marketed under countless brand names; they are perfectly good and one of the best tar removers.

My 197x?-198x? jar of Johnson Auto Pudding is also working good, however it`s not a great product. #16 IS.

Others with considerable staying power: OOS, OCW, VM, RMG, CMW, QS, #80, #7, 845/476/885/915, FK1000P, VWCon, #26 paste, SRP, EGP, HTEC...

spotter
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I am still using the Klasse twins (original formula AIO) on my wife`s 2002 CRV and I am continually amazed at how well her car looks with only annual application and every 3 year`s polishing. However, it is garaged at work and at home which really helps. I have always thought that 2-3 layers of SG on white looks as good as anything.....period. I have never had an issue with SG and have always just WOWO with one layer in the evening and another the next morning.

Don`t have any but still love both QuikShine and PoorBoys Spray & Wipe.

Inzane
04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I see there`s been a few nods to ClearKote products in this thread. Nice.

On that note, has anyone noticed if their products are becoming harder to find? I noticed recently that several vendors who I thought used to carry it (VM, CMW, QS, etc.) no longer do. For example, eshine in Canada. Pakshak and Autogeek in the US. To name a few. I`m curious why that is.

Scottwax
04-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Not sure, Clearkote has their own website, that`s where I usually get my products.

Wasatch
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, even in the past I bought my stuff directly from ClearKote.