PDA

View Full Version : Need Agressive Clay For New Car...

jmsc
03-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Tried 3X`s using Zaino red clay (mild-medium) and Opti-Eraser (mild) + Z6 on hood of brand new car. In 10 years of detailing under autopia I have never come across such persistent grittiness. I have removed about 75% of the contaminants. I have never used any aggressive clay before.

Will meguiar`s aggressive clay or Opti-Eraser aggressive do the final 25%?

Anyone been thru this before?

C. Charles Hahn
03-31-2013, 10:43 AM
It`s always worth a shot with Meguiar`s red clay, or Clay Magic red.

In lieu of those you might instead want to look into a decontamination system like ValuGard ABC to break down whatever the contaminants are so they will release; another good choice might be some very fine grit sandpaper like 4000-grit MicroMesh or even 5000 grit 3M Trizact.

togwt
03-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Given that some contaminant residue (acid rain, industrial fallout, sintered brake or rail dust) are usually highly acidic and / or will permeate a paint surface, it makes far more sense to remove them chemically and neutralize the paint surface rather than by using an abrasive clay or polish, as dissolving them using a paint decontamination system and then rinsing them away virtually eliminates the risk of causing surface damage

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - “ValuGard Paint Decontamination System†- http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/141242-valugard-paint-decontamination-system.html

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM

Accumulator
03-31-2013, 11:55 AM
One more vote for ABC! I wouldn`t want to scrub a new car with an abrasive clay if I could merely "wash off" the contamination instead. This one sounds like it will probably require some mechanical agitation while the "A" and/or "B" are dwelling though.

jmsc
03-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks.

When I use my fingers over the surface its silky smooth after the claying once or twice.

When I use a baggie I can feel what contaminants are left. That`s whats throwing me.

I am going to try a spot test and buy the megs red clay OTC on MON. If that don`t work I`ll have to order online some de-contamination product online.

Nth Degree
03-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I have seen instances when a car was touched up at some point before delivery. The texture you feel may not be contaminants but a poorly finished paiñt repair. I would see about measuring the paint first to check for inconsistencies. If clay isn`t doing it I`m of the mind to sand it smooth.

Ron Ketcham
03-31-2013, 09:48 PM
And a couple of months of warm weather and some moisture, sit back and watch the paint "swell up again", due to the acids produced by the ferrous oxide deposits that were sheared off and the residual acids of sulfur etc, start swelling the paint film and breaking apart the resin system of the paint.

Clay only "shears" as does "sanding", they do nothing to remove the particles that are "imbedded" in the paint film or the generated acids.

But, if it makes you happy for a few months, do whatever floats your boat.

dschia
03-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Ime, Meg Red clay isn`t that aggressive compared to many on the market, but it can be still be too aggressive for a new car. Valugard decon system and other iron removal product may help too, but valugard abc removes a wider range of contaminates that dedicated iron removal product cant.

Guitarist302008
03-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I always used clay magic`s blue clay, but I`m not working on what you are currently, so it`s hard to say.

Bert
04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
And a couple of months of warm weather and some moisture, sit back and watch the paint "swell up again", due to the acids produced by the ferrous oxide deposits that were sheared off and the residual acids of sulfur etc, start swelling the paint film and breaking apart the resin system of the paint.

Clay only "shears" as does "sanding", they do nothing to remove the particles that are "imbedded" in the paint film or the generated acids.

But, if it makes you happy for a few months, do whatever floats your boat.

Ron, would doing a Valuguard decon each spring make sense or would that be excessive?

Scottwax
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Clay Magic purple is aggressive enough you will need to polish after using.

Ron Ketcham
04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Not excessive, when I lived in LA had to do my car every three months due to the IFO. In Cincy, I only had to ABC once a year, usually.

Bert
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Not excessive, when I lived in LA had to do my car every three months due to the IFO. In Cincy, I only had to ABC once a year, usually.

Thanks Ron. My theory was Clay a few times a year with the assumption that doing so would get most of the decontaminants before they have a chance to go deeper than the surface and decon once a year to get the stuff out that did make below the surface.

Envious Eric
04-02-2013, 05:57 PM
could be overspray as well...

can you see the contaminants or just feel them?