PDA

View Full Version : Computer guru`s - What is the best antivirus software?

Pages : [1] 2

GregCavi
04-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Hello everyone. WE have had norton antivirus on our computer since we got it and it has worked fine, but when we tried updating to the 06 system works from norton the you know what hit the fan. WE have spent over 12 hours with CS trying to get it to work without any luck.

We are seeing about the $50 we paid for it being refunded, but even if they dont refund we are going to get somethin else. So what is the best virus software out there in 2006?

Thanks!

Greg

-KGB-
04-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Norton is crap. Go here:
www.avast.com

Free and found 7 yes 7 virus` that Norton missed. I had to run mine almost 10 hours to get rid of everything but been virus free since

Tex Star Detail
04-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I`ve never had a problem with Norton since I had a computer back in the mid 90`s.

Lwnwookie
04-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I like AVG, PC-Cillin, and Panda. I never even put virus protection on my pc anymore though. Since I lost my Win XP disk I have been running 2000 and am just waiting a few months to reformat before Vista comes out.

JaredPointer
04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I like AVG. Works well and it`s free.

jaybs02
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Another vote for Avast.
And it`s free :bigups

belcherm58
04-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I have McAfee and it works great. I subscribe online and every year they
ask me if I want to renew and I reply and it just keeps updating when it
needs to. McAfee updates often and I have never gotten a Virus since
my install. I also have the free version of Zone Alarm firewall and it is also
a great tool. They have a paid version that has more features. You can
download the Zone Alarm at PC World`s web site, free and paid versions.
The firewall is about as important as the antivirus. It will stop hackers
and scanners from looking for your identifiable info being sent to another computer. If you bank and use a credit card online. You need a firewall for
sure.

marko
04-01-2006, 03:31 PM
we use mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0.0 at the office, which is a software house with a very secure network, so I use the same software on all my systems. at home I`m behind a nat firewall and have individual systems firewalled as well, but I also travel with a gsm modem on a firewalled system. I haven`t had any issues whatsoever.

AL-53
04-01-2006, 04:43 PM
the top contenders are AVG Pro....kaspersky personal pro......and NOD32....or GData antiviruskit....and Symatec anti virus corporate edition V10..these are ranked as some of the top ones.....

as far as doing the Norton upgrade...you should have removed the older anti virus first.....2 different heuristic engines...there is a section on symantec`s page on how to remove previous version before install a later version....Norton can be a bugger to remove all files.....

hope this helps

AL

shineycar
04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
pc world last month had a free one rated as good if not better then most paid for ones. Anvira AntiVir Personal..
i have been running it since, i have used avast for the last few years...
both do a fine job and are free.....

G35stilez
04-01-2006, 09:57 PM
The entire university here uses Symantec.

I think its more important to tweak *how* you surf the net, not just *which* fix-it program to use.

exile
04-01-2006, 10:08 PM
NOD32
http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

klnyc
04-02-2006, 07:53 AM
NOD32
http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

Dang you took the word out of my mouth. Yup, NOD32 rox!!!

Anthony A
04-02-2006, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=GSRstilez
I think its more important to tweak *how* you surf the net, not just *which* fix-it program to use.[/QUOTE]

Explain?

runnerbl
04-02-2006, 03:04 PM
The broadband provider I use has give antivirus for free...along with spam blocker, firewall, and several other goodies. Check with your provider...