PDA

View Full Version : extreme cold ? extreme salt ?

number50
03-29-2013, 01:58 PM
So here is the Situation. I live in Sudbury Ontario. We have a 6 month winter with snow for 4 months. Salt is very extreme here as well as a ton of precipitation.

I need to know what products to buy for next winter. I do not want to use automated car washes because I know of the scratches they give on your clear coat.

I need to know how I can wash my vehicle by hand even with our temperatures being below freezing the whole winter. I do have the option of paying for the "spray your own car" car washes and then detailing afterwards ? . I don`t have anywhere indoors where i can clean the car.

Basically I am asking for

1. If there is a car wash product that I can use at the "spray your own car" even when temperatures are well below freezing

2. If I can clay the car or use the speedy prep towel or nanoskin wash mitt at least once during the winter and if there is a lubricant that won`t freeze while doing so. Hopefully the prep towel or nanoskin since it will be very cold and the time outdoors is a big factor

3. If there is a sealant made for extreme temperatures that can be applied below freezing. Again a fast application spray sealant would be best because of the time in the cold. I have Blackfire Crystal Seal but don`t know if there is another sealant that applies normally in extreme cold.

The decontamination and Sealant steps are a PLUS . I technically could wait until april to decontaminate and seal once again. The washing is a MUST. With how much snow and salt we have i should wash my car once a week here but If I`m washing so often i would obviously love to add some quick protection a few times throughout the winter. I don`t want to be washing very frequently and just leaving my bare paint open to further corrosion with no protection.

Ron Ketcham
03-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Cold, freezing weather, snow, rain, are not in themselves damaging to vehicles.

A chemical fact is that in cold weather, there is less reactivity of chemicals, with few variances.

The "damage" starts when the temps rise above freezing or one parks their vehicle in a heated garage over night. That creates the "reactivity" of the clorides.

Sodium cloride (salt) and magnesium cloride are the two that damage, create extensive corrosion of metals. Both are used extensively in Canada as well as many US states.

The mag cloride is the nasty one, more than the road salts. In Canada, it is applied not only in the winter, but also in the summer, is sprayed to control dust on gravel roads. It loves water, give it any moisture and the corrosion begins.

Automotive International, makers of ValuGard products has been the "go to" company for most vehicle manufacturers when dealing with vehicle corrosion since the early 80`s.. The company produces under private label, for Ford and Chrysler, the same products that they market under their ValuGard brand.

There is a wealth of documented technical information regarding corrosion, what creates it, how to stop it, etc on their website, valugard.net

The company recently introduced a new product for the trucking industry, ProWash, that is product that neutralizes the mag cloride and sodium clorides on the vehicles under carriages, etc.

Take a look at the website for some good "factual" information. There are "technical service bulletins" from vehicle manufacturers as well, under the "Engineers" section.

number50
03-29-2013, 09:00 PM
1. I know that the cold isn`t the factor that is bad for the paint I was merely stating that because I was concerned with any products that could be applied in such temperatures. And yes I do get rustproofing done annually and will continue to do so.

2. Awesome thanks I will check that site out. If I don`t find a product like that where I can just use it in an outdoor "spray your own car" facility. I will just add a double coat of my blackfire sealant in october and leave my car be until march. I did hear of some educated chemical engineer friends of mine mentioning that the worst thing you can do in winter is go through an automatic car wash where they use hot water and then immediately go driving while your car and underbody have many spots filled with hot water for the salts to react in.

3. The question I have is basically. Which is worse ? To wash the car in winter or not ? I know some people that just load up on protection before winter starts and don`t wash the car at all during winter because they want to preserve the protection. I know others that go to the car wash weekly , don`t care about losing paint protection, and just want the salt off the car.

The factors that i`m seeing are

Washing the Car During Winter:

Pros - salt and contaminants are removed

Cons - when you leave the car wash your car has hot water on/under it for the salts and contaminants to react with

- the strong soaps used in car washes will strip your sealant protection and possibly slowly deteriorate your clear coat ?

Not washing the Car During Winter

Pros - layers of Sealant aren`t stripped from the car from strong car wash detergents

- no hot/warm water is added to the car for the salts to react with

Cons - Car is covered in salt the whole winter

Would my best chance be to use the "spray your own car" wash with my own quality sealant safe car wash and then just dry my car myself and park it for a few minutes while any remaining water drips or cools down ?

Ron Ketcham
03-29-2013, 09:38 PM
First, you are correct, the salts, etc do not damage the paint, they damage the owner`s image of what they think their vehicle should appear.

Second, if you have to have the rust inbititor applied every year, it is not approved or such by any vehicle manufacturer and in fact may void your factory rust perforation warranty.

Third, "it`s not what is on the paint", but rather corrosives that through electrolize, will "crawl" under the paint, be it on the chassis or such.

I am farmilar with two companies in Canada that promote and sell the "yearly" program.

None are able to meet the ASTM-117B standard or the newer SAE-J2334 standard. If they were, they would be sure and promote it in their marketing.