PDA

View Full Version : Just Found a Nice Pad/Polish Combo - HD/MF

nonwelder
03-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Hoping to take advantage of the nicer weather the next few days in Chicago. My Candy White Jetta had a pretty tough winter and needs some attention. The weather snuck up on me and I dont have as many supplies as I would like. I tried HD polish last year and was impressed. I used it with a green B&S pad to remove some minor marring. However, I had some marring over the winter that was more moderate. So, I grabbed my Meg`s MF cutting pad and some HD Polish today to give it a go on a test spot. Wow! It removed some decent marring while finishing GREAT. I may use foam on most of the car and reserve the MF pad for the "trouble spots," but this combo impressed me. I almost reached for D300, but it hit me to try the least aggressive method. It worked well! Amazing how the pad amped up the defect removing of the polish. Best part is, it barely moved the readings on my PTG.

Easy to use and awesome results. Hopefully the rest of the car goes great, and good to know I can reach for this combo. I always wondered how well a polish would work with these MF cutting pads. Scott uses it a lot, and I know why! Let`s make it clear, I am most impressed with the polish...not the pad!

pwaug
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up--I have 2 VW to care for and this info is nice to know.

Scottwax
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Works well with both the Optimum pads too. Very versatile polish!

nonwelder
03-28-2013, 11:14 PM
The more I use it, the more I like it. I think the polishing pad might be a bit too light for VW paint. I dont have any of them and I am not sure I will get any. Hard, light colored paint.....cutting pads finish LSP ready, even with D300. honestly, not sure [B]I[B] have much use for foam pads on my own car. I usually gravitate toward 205, but I`m out. Rather then go buy a quantity of 205, I figured I would use the HD. Good stuff. Very wet, even on white. Followed with PB White Diamond and Meg`s Ultimate Wax. Seems like a nice combo.

pwaug
03-30-2013, 07:58 AM
OneQuickGT1--forgot to ask--with HD Polish and MF pads what did you do for priming--with foam I just use 4-5 drops for the initial section the 2-3 for each additional section--is it pretty much the same with MF pads or do you prime the entire pad and work it in by hand?? Also, what technique did you use on the VW--machine speed, amount of pressure, no of passes??

Thanks in advance!

David Fermani
03-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Good feedback. The non-deminishing abrasives in HD Polish sure can cut when put to the test.

nonwelder
03-30-2013, 09:32 PM
OneQuickGT1--forgot to ask--with HD Polish and MF pads what did you do for priming--with foam I just use 4-5 drops for the initial section the 2-3 for each additional section--is it pretty much the same with MF pads or do you prime the entire pad and work it in by hand?? Also, what technique did you use on the VW--machine speed, amount of pressure, no of passes??

Thanks in advance!

I did some circles on the pad like Meg`s suggests, then rubbed the polish in. From there, about 4 drops is the ticket. On my GG6, I used speed 3.5, 4 on some sections. Fairly heavy pressure to start, about 3-4 passes, and then one pass with very little pressure. The more moderate marring took more passes or a more aggressive product, but overall, HE polish performed well!

dogma
03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
After I read this I decided to try HD polish with a Meguiars MF cutting pad I got from Walmart. I too was really impressed with the results. I have found all HD products to perform above all my expectations. HD Speed followed by Nitro Seal is an excellent combo.

nonwelder
03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
I still need to try Nitro. However, I used HD polish, followed by PB white diamond, followed by Meg`s ULW. Killer combo. Once HD/3D comes out with a spray wax and has a complete "system," I will probably take the plunge on Nitro.

david2013
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM
I appreciate your work and efforts. You have provided me a great feedback. I will be waiting for more feedbacks from others.

ArmyAl3x
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
My Candy White Jetta had a pretty tough winter and needs some attention. So, I grabbed my Meg`s MF cutting pad and some HD Polish today to give it a go on a test spot. Wow! It removed some decent marring while finishing GREAT. I may use foam on most of the car and reserve the MF pad for the "trouble spots," but this combo impressed me. Best part is, it barely moved the readings on my PTG.

With so many great reviews on the HD line, I believe the polish will be my first purchase in detailing. Can you provide a link to the Meg`s MF cutting pad that you utilized? What readings did the PTG output?