PDA

View Full Version : New to detailing. Please advise =)

03concorde
03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
For the first time, I have a car I like enough to do more than washing. My car, which I`ve now owned for 6 months, is a 9 year old luxury sedan with black leather interior and very dark red metallic paint. Almost purple in color. The older couple who previously owned it, while performing impeccable maintenance, obviously were content with keeping it clean via automatic car washes. This shows when I was the car -- it looks clean & "shiny" from 5 feet away. But up close? Swirl marks galore & it lacks any type of depth to the shine -- no glossiness or "wet" appearance at all to the paint.

It is my new goal to correct this. I have never used an electronic buffer before, but I bought one today to do this. It`s a 6" small rotary, which I figured would be enough if I`m just doing my car. I only have this car, and I will probably only use the buffer 3-4 times a year for waxing once the paint is corrected.

Here is the list of things I purchased for detailing the car and making the paint glossy and beautiful again. Please tell me if I should return any products, or if I need to add something to my inventory to effectively detail the paint.

1) Several microfiber cleaning towels (small, good for wiping up dried wax, etc.)

2) 2 LARGE microfiber drying towels

3) 1 LARGE, very soft (chamois?) drying towel

4) Tire shine applicator, which is the only way I`ve ever been able to successfully apply tire shine. Mostly concerned with paint here, though. Megs HOT SHINE for tire product.

5) Very soft, I believe wool or similar wash mit

6) TWO buckets, which I will use to begin doing hand washes with a soapy water & clean water bucket to rinse mitt before returning to soap mixture.

...in addition to the buffer, I purchased 4 terry cloth bonnets, 1 wool bonnet, and 2 microfiber bonnets.

Products:

1) Megs Deep Crystal wash concentrate

2) Megs clay bar system with Quik Detailer

3) Megs Ultimate compound (to be used with buffer)

4) Megs Ultimate Wax (to be used with buffer)

5) Megs Plast-X (to be used with buffer. I hope to clear up a minor fog on the headlight plastic. Is this effective?)

Plan -- Wash, Clay, Re-wash, Ult. Compound, Ult. Wax, Plast-X to headlights

My main question is -- using the products above, in that order, on the paint with the buffer & taking my time -- can I expect to see a glossy deep finish on the paint afterwards? Have I done a good job selecting products? I have never put so much money into detailing products and this will be the first time I`ve spent a whole day detailing any car I`ve owned.

If anyone has any recommendations, they are definitely welcomed! Thanks for reading, and please let me know if I`m on the right track. Maybe I`ll even do a Click & Brag ;)

Batt4Christ
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Is the buffer a rotary or DA (or random orbital)?

My own personal opinion- if a true rotary, it isn`t very newbie friendly and can ruin a paint job.

If a DA or random orbital buffer, those are much more user-friendly.

Nth Degree
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Not sure about your polisher. If it is a rotary you might have some trouble and you definitely don`t want to be using bonnets with a rotary.

I prefer Meg`s Gold Class car shampoo over the Deep Crystal, but it`s better than using Dawn.

You are going to need a finer polish to follow up the Ultimate Compound. You can dump the Plast-X and simply use the compound and polish to do the same thing. Whether it will be effective on your headlights will depend on their condition.

You might want to provide some more information about that polisher before you use it so you can still return it if necessary. People here can help you out. I don`t think you`ll be getting the best results with an OTC polisher and bonnets.

pwaug
03-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Here`s an article that may help you sort out what type of buffer you have. Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html) Unfortunately if you have one of the low cost "buffers" mentioned in the article they aren`t capable of doing any correction of defects.

Dan
03-26-2013, 07:41 AM
You are missing a polish and you need a variety of pads. Wool might be a bit much for a beginner. Also what is the machine you plan on using?

Accumulator
03-26-2013, 12:03 PM
For the first time, I have a car I like enough to do more than washing...

Welcome to Autopia!

Below are my takes on some of your proposed ideas, "sorry..." in advance if some of my ideas aren`t exactly, uhm....good news. Anyhow, let`s see if we can get you off on the right foot.

It is my new goal to correct this. I have never used an electronic buffer before, but I bought one today to do this. It`s a 6" small rotary, which I figured would be enough if I`m just doing my car. I only have this car, and I will probably only use the buffer 3-4 times a year for waxing once the paint is corrected.

As noted, rotary polishers aren`t the best idea for your application. It`d be a lot easier to make things worse than to make them better and mastering a rotary is something best left for Pros (I`ve used one since the `70s and a) I`m still no expert and b) I simply never use either of my rotaries any more as there are better alternatives). I *SERIOUSLY* recommend that you *DO NOT* use that polisher but rather get a Random Orbital one.

1) Several microfiber cleaning towels (small, good for wiping up dried wax, etc.)

2) 2 LARGE microfiber drying towels

3) 1 LARGE, very soft (chamois?) drying towel

4) Tire shine applicator, which is the only way I`ve ever been able to successfully apply tire shine. Mostly concerned with paint here, though. Megs HOT SHINE for tire product.

5) Very soft, I believe wool or similar wash mit

6) TWO buckets, which I will use to begin doing hand washes with a soapy water & clean water bucket to rinse mitt before returning to soap mixture.

I`d replace the chamois (which I did use for years back in the day) with Waffle Weave MicroFiber ("WWMF") drying towels. And get more than one.

Here`s my favorite applicator for tire dressings, I simply love this thing: Dressing Applicator and 4 Pads - Cleaning Tools - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/dressing+applicator+and+4+pads.do?sortby=ourPicks)

...in addition to the buffer, I purchased 4 terry cloth bonnets, 1 wool bonnet, and 2 microfiber bonnets.

I can`t imagine any situation in which I`d use/recommend the terry or wool bonnets. The MF bonnets are OK for buffing off wax residue, but that`s it.

Stick with foam pads for polishing and waxing, whole big, involved topic that I won`t try to cover now (goes with the "get a random orbital polisher" topic).

Products:

1) Megs Deep Crystal wash concentrate

2) Megs clay bar system with Quik Detailer

3) Megs Ultimate compound (to be used with buffer)

4) Megs Ultimate Wax (to be used with buffer)

5) Megs Plast-X (to be used with buffer. I hope to clear up a minor fog on the headlight plastic. Is this effective?)

I`d get either Meguiar`s Gold Class shampoo or (much better idea) the shampoo from DuraGloss. Yes, using a high-quality shampoo is worth the money, better lubricity and encapsulation = less wash-induced marring.

As noted, you`ll need a finer polish for use after the Ultimate Compound.

I`d recommend a wax from Collinite instead of the Ultimate Wax.

No idea how the Plast-X will work on the headlights, but note that often the "fog" indicates that the UV protectant is failing. Polishing will clear things up but also remove more of that protection, so it`s not always as simple to fix the problem as ad-copy might imply.

My main question is -- using the products above, in that order, on the paint with the buffer & taking my time -- can I expect to see a glossy deep finish on the paint afterwards? Have I done a good job selecting products? I have never put so much money into detailing products and this will be the first time I`ve spent a whole day detailing any car I`ve owned.

IF you replace the rotary with a good random orbital ("RO"), and choose your pads/products properly, and go about everything right, you oughta do OK.

One day will be tough until you gain experience, this stuff takes a while.

I`d consider *not* trying to do too much at first. I bet that if you clay the car and then polish it with a good "all-in-one" ("AIO")product you`ll find that a) it`s plenty for the first try, b) it`ll look better, and c) most importantly, you won`t run a big risk of things going haywire.

I`d get some HD Speed AIO and use the RO to do the car with that. Between the wash/clay/AIO that oughta be a full day of work. Then, after the next wash, you can wax it with something like Collinite 845 Insulator Wax (incredibly durable and user-friendly); the protection in the AIO will last until that next wash.

You can always redo the car panel-by-panel with a more aggressive approach (compound, polish, etc.) once it`s basically OK from the AIO/wax. The AIO will provide a good learning experience/introduction to this stuff and the chances of having an "oops!" will be basically nil.