PDA

View Full Version : How many MF drying towels do I need?

Pages : [1] 2

Jreepers
03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I`ve got a midsize SUV, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is similar in size to a Ford Explorer and Chevy Traverse.

How many microfiber drying towels of what size would you say I`d need to dry the entire vehicle? I`m looking specifically at the Griot`s waffle weave which is 25" x 35". Would two cut it? Better yet, how about just one?

Hopefully not three or more? The Griot`s towels are highly rated but not the cheapest.

Nth Degree
03-21-2013, 08:04 PM
The answer is: always more than you have.

I usually use one towel for the bulk of the drying and another, smaller one for buffing off any remaining moisture. I find SUVs have a lot of cracks and crevices that hold water (particularly the rear, side windows and roof racks) that tend to load up a towel quickly or continue to drip. I would recommend getting at least two. You can use both to dry each time or go an extra wash without having to wash them. Plus, there will always be the time when you accidentally drop your towel early in your process and need the backup.

dfoxengr
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I use 1 large one to get the majority on the flat panels by dabbing them, about the same size as you said, then a $30 electric leaf blower to get everything else. And I really like the cobra green WW towels.

beatcop49
03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
The answer is: always more than you have.

I usually use one towel for the bulk of the drying and another, smaller one for buffing off any remaining moisture. I find SUVs have a lot of cracks and crevices that hold water (particularly the rear, side windows and roof racks) that tend to load up a towel quickly or continue to drip. I would recommend getting at least two. You can use both to dry each time or go an extra wash without having to wash them. Plus, there will always be the time when you accidentally drop your towel early in your process and need the backup.

That was what I was going to say...more than you have...

Accumulator
03-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Me too!

I blow most of the water off with my AirWand and the compressor, but I still often/usually use two or three, plus a few smaller towels for jambs/underhood/undercarriage/etc.

pwaug
03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Me too!

I blow most of the water off with my AirWand and the compressor, but I still often/usually use two or three, plus a few smaller towels for jambs/underhood/undercarriage/etc.

How is that AirWand compared to just a plain electric leaf blower???

Jreepers
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys.

Accumulator, two or three for just one vehicle (presumably a car), or all of them? :)

Accumulator
03-22-2013, 12:02 PM
How is that AirWand compared to just a plain electric leaf blower???

I`ve never used the blower without the AirWand attached, so I can`t say for certain. BUT....the configuration of the AirWand (long rectangular slot that`s easy to hold parallel to the panels) seems so swell that I`m confident it`s a lot better. Better enough to justify the expense? :nixweiss Was for me, but...well, that`s just me. I will say that it`s one of those "toys" that someone else might be all :nono: :rolleyes: about, but I use it at *EVERY* wash and if it weren`t any good I`d just pitch it and poke fun at myself for wasting the money.

It did take a little while to get the hang of using it efficiently though ("efficiently" = worth the bother as opposed to just grabbing another drying towel), not like it seemed all that swell the first few times I tried it ("eh, this thing`s kinda a hassle..maybe it`s just a gimmick" :think: ) but with a bit of use/thought/experimentation I fell in love with it. Gotta use a good "water flies across it" LSP though; on bare paint/dead LSPs it`s utterly useless.

One more thing- gotta keep an eye on where it attaches to the leafblower hose! I had the thing pop apart and that sent things flying and the hose was whipping around and, well.... :eek: No damage (pure luck!) and it hasn`t happened since, but you gotta inspect it and replace the fittings that hold it all together *before* they fail. I also taped mine for a little extra insurance as the whole episode really spooked me. Gee, did that just scare off any potential purchasers?!?

Accumulator, two or three for just one vehicle (presumably a car), or all of them?

That`s two WWMFs plus additional drying towels for *one* vehicle, even if it`s just a car as opposed to something like an SUV. I can imagine somebody getting by with fewer, but I`m just not that guy :grinno:

pwaug
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the AirWand info!!! I use the leaf blower all the time, but often wondered if there was something that made it more efficient--looks like this might be just the thing. Know what you mean about the finish needs to be slick for even the blower to work.

Wasatch
03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
That one WW should do it.

imported_Mighty HD
03-23-2013, 09:10 PM
I have hundreds of MicroFibers.

For starters, the ones you get at Sams Club are hard to beat for the price.

chrisguga
03-25-2013, 08:20 PM
I have about 25 quality microfiber towels (~560 gsm or whatever the rating is, I forget) and 2 quality waffle weave drying towels. I also have about 15 lower quality microfibers for the dirty jobs. I find this to be plenty.

I`ve been very happy with the blue 560 gsm microfibers and the blue Korean waffle weave towels on microfibertech.com.

Bill D
06-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I just ordered one of the Uber Super Drying towels from Detailers Domain. I`m going to purposely not blow dry the car and fully expect this towel alone to dry up all traces of water from my paint-- I`ll give it a headstart by squeegeeing my windows. I look forward to the results.

Inzane
06-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Me too.

What I was going to say is buy more than you need for the task. Think you need two drying towels? Double or triple that. Likewise for the other types for other tasks.

The reason I say that is I`ve accumulated enough MF towels of various types so I can afford to let the dirty towel volume pile up until I have enough for a decent load in the washing machine (just like household laundry). I`d be reluctant to run the machines just to wash a scant few 3-5 towels, for example. Especially since you are not supposed to wash MFs with other types of fabrics. I`d rather do fewer larger wash loads than many smaller loads. But that`s just me.

David Fermani
06-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I just ordered one of the Uber Super Drying towels from Detailers Domain. I`m going to purposely not blow dry the car and fully expect this towel alone to dry up all traces of water from my paint-- I`ll give it a headstart by squeegeeing my windows. I look forward to the results.

Keep us posted. They do look very nice: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-Super-Drying-Microfiber-Towel_p_516.html