PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Z5 vs Optimum OptiSeal and Optimum Car Wax

tuffcalc
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I am an amateur detailer for my own cars on the weekends. I have been using Zaino Z5 for years but it seems like my cars own me as opposed to the other way around. Washing and waxing take me considerable time.

I have been reading about Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax and how easy they are to apply, so I went ahead and bought both. This weekend I applied Optiseal and after about 20 minutes applied the Optimum Car Wax (spray wax). The slickness was nothing close to what I get from a Zaino Z5 application. Is this normal or did I just apply improperly?

Anyone else switch from Zaino Z5 to Optimum OptiSeal or Car Wax? Opinions on the switch? My initial impressions are that Zaino Z5 is much superior but of course I could be applying the Optimum stuff wrong (and admittedly it is still pretty cold in Toronto, so that may have something to do with it).

Dan
03-17-2013, 04:49 PM
IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges, but that said, I`ve always felt OCW was slicker than Z5. Z2 and Z5 aren`t exceptionally slick. If you are happy with the Zaino system, a more appropriate solution would be Z5 every six months than follow with Z8 or ZCS.

That said, Optiseal needs at few hours to really reach its potential. OCW is pretty much instant. I`d recommend doing each on their own to figure out what you like and don`t like about them.

Scottwax
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
My bottle of Z5 has sat for years unused. Opti-Seal alone is faster and easier to use and IMO has better depth, though Z5 does darken paint a bit more. Z5 may last longer (durability) but Opti-Seal is far superior when it comes to bird bomb protection. It takes a few hours for Opti-Seal to reach its maximum slickness. OCW though, it should feel at least as slick as Z5 right off the bat.

You could always use Z5 and then use Opti-Seal or OCW over top every other wash instead of a detail spray. That might make you happier.

tuffcalc
03-18-2013, 08:52 AM
My bottle of Z5 has sat for years unused. Opti-Seal alone is faster and easier to use and IMO has better depth, though Z5 does darken paint a bit more. Z5 may last longer (durability) but Opti-Seal is far superior when it comes to bird bomb protection. It takes a few hours for Opti-Seal to reach its maximum slickness. OCW though, it should feel at least as slick as Z5 right off the bat.

You could always use Z5 and then use Opti-Seal or OCW over top every other wash instead of a detail spray. That might make you happier.

Hmmm... maybe the issue is that I applied Optimum Car Wax right after an application of OptiSeal.

tuffcalc
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
IMO, you are comparing apples to oranges, but that said, I`ve always felt OCW was slicker than Z5. Z2 and Z5 aren`t exceptionally slick. If you are happy with the Zaino system, a more appropriate solution would be Z5 every six months than follow with Z8 or ZCS.

That said, Optiseal needs at few hours to really reach its potential. OCW is pretty much instant. I`d recommend doing each on their own to figure out what you like and don`t like about them.

I will try both separately and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

MattPersman
03-24-2013, 07:47 AM
I am with the OP thinking OCW definitely not as slick as Z5 in my experience